Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Seed again
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 2:03 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
Zorro dont eat filler seed. Which seems to be 50% of all seeds. He likes pumpkin seed. Would that be bad to feed him? As his seed. He gets pellets fruit n veggies too.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00418QKRO/re ... mxbDMBW834 this dosent seem have tint fillers?

Post subject: Re: Seed again
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Too much pumpkin seed is bad. It's VERY high in phosphorus, which is an essential nutrient, but too much of it interferes with the absorption of calcium. A moderate amount is OK but you don't want it to be a huge percentage of your bird's diet.

Most seed mixes do have too much filler. Is it practical for you to make your own seed mix? That's what I do, but it's easier for me than for most people because I have easy access to a seller who comes to the bird marts with bags of the seed I want. Plus I have a lot of birds, so it doesn't take too long to use up a bag of a special seed like safflower or hemp. I start with a plain parakeet mix (millet, canary grass seed, oats) and add other seeds that I know my birds will eat.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 10:05 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

tielfan wrote:
Too much pumpkin seed is bad. It's VERY high in phosphorus, which is an essential nutrient, but too much of it interferes with the absorption of calcium. A moderate amount is OK but you don't want it to be a huge percentage of your bird's diet.

Most seed mixes do have too much filler. Is it practical for you to make your own seed mix? That's what I do, but it's easier for me than for most people because I have easy access to a seller who comes to the bird marts with bags of the seed I want. Plus I have a lot of birds, so it doesn't take too long to use up a bag of a special seed like safflower or hemp. I start with a plain parakeet mix (millet, canary grass seed, oats) and add other seeds that I know my birds will eat.

No i have no idea where to buy or what to buy.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 6:48 pm 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
try finding feed and seed store, like farm type store. but be aware that you may get pantry moths in it, so plan on freezing it for at least a week.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2016 11:03 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

janey'sbird wrote:
try finding feed and seed store, like farm type store. but be aware that you may get pantry moths in it, so plan on freezing it for at least a week.

Whats that

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 1:59 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I purchase all my seed from my local pet shop....
I buy in big bags.... parrot food....budgies seed.... cockatiel mix...finch seed... P'let seed.... from the supermarket, all sorts of nuts... I chop those up and mix it all up together... with scoops of seed in a big tub....I also add sunflower, pumping, barley mix etc. with it... all the birds get given this along with the fresh veggies.... they all thrive on it... try something like this for Zorro I'm sure he will love it.... my birds like large parrot stuff as well as the smaller seed... Obi had peanuts in the shells and holds them like a larger parrot and eats them.... I find with birds its common scene and to try foods etc... good luck

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:36 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Jan wrote:
I purchase all my seed from my local pet shop....
I buy in big bags.... parrot food....budgies seed.... cockatiel mix...finch seed... P'let seed.... from the supermarket, all sorts of nuts... I chop those up and mix it all up together... with scoops of seed in a big tub....I also add sunflower, pumping, barley mix etc. with it... all the birds get given this along with the fresh veggies.... they all thrive on it... try something like this for Zorro I'm sure he will love it.... my birds like large parrot stuff as well as the smaller seed... Obi had peanuts in the shells and holds them like a larger parrot and eats them.... I find with birds its common scene and to try foods etc... good luck

Most places seem have 8lb bags. Lol but much 4 one bird. He seems perfer bigger seeds. Thats why i linked that bag above.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 8:01 am 
Finch
Finch

Name: Janey
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 7 times
Mel wrote:
janey'sbird wrote:

Whats that

look in the yellow pages for a garden store, i live in MN and they are a part of the rural scene. you can buy seeds in bulk, a pound or more and mix your own combos for your bird.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 11:17 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
One thing to be careful of with feed stores is the quality of the seed they're selling. Pet-quality seed is cleaner and safer than wild-bird seed, so you need to know which one you're getting.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 2:32 pm 
Previous owner
Previous owner

tielfan wrote:
One thing to be careful of with feed stores is the quality of the seed they're selling. Pet-quality seed is cleaner and safer than wild-bird seed, so you need to know which one you're getting.

Good 2 no

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]