View results

Post subject: Re: Is this anything I should be concern about?BUDGIES
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I don't know what sex Kaylee is - it sounds like it could go either way. Some birds are difficult to sex even when you're looking at them in person. With Kaylee, I haven't even seen a picture and I don't know much about budgies anyway.

Consider the bath option, but if that isn't feasible you'll have to catch her. Exactly how you do that depends on how you feel about getting bitten. You can use your hand more effectively if it isn't covered up, but you'll get bitten less if you protect your hand with a small towel or glove. You basically corner the bird and grab it, holding it firmly enough that it can't escape but gently enough that it can still breathe and isn't hurt.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
How can I corner her because she'll be flying all over the cage because one time I tried to put a ruler in there to see if Kaylee or Sunshine would go on but NO they flapped their wing like crazy sounding like helicopters knocking down one of the perch.
Kaylee is is braver because one time I was cleaning the grate with a Q-tip and I held it up to her she was really interested and bit it quickly but I took it away from her and one time she bit my finger either a warning or oopsy daisy!She loves to chew on stuff!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Get the toys and stuff out of the way as much as you can, then just follow her around with your hand until you have an opportunity to grab her.

If you want to feed treats without getting bitten, use a long piece of millet spray as the treat and position your hand so the bird can nibble on the millet while your hand stays out of biting range.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:44 pm 
Finch
Finch

Okay I'll try that after I get all the materials.

Today I was trying to train them so I took 2 seeds from their bowls and put it on my middle finger I was using my index but I had to hold it out of my way so anyway Kaylee's mouth was wide open trying to bite my finger but she was slow so I kept saying to myself it won't hurt not gonna bleed and BAM kaylee snatched them off my finger it was like a little pinch I almost died from getting scared I don't know if I'm able to do that again!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Use a whole piece of millet spray instead of a single seed - your fingers will thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:32 am 
Finch
Finch

Thanks! For the Tip!

Last night Kaylee lets me pet her belly well slightly. :applaud:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nice going! Budgies usually aren't too keen about body-petting, so it's great that she'll let you do it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:05 pm 
Finch
Finch

Now she'll give a warning when I pet her without any food in my hands so I have to back-off .
But GREAT NEWS! I got a stick and whenever I put it in her sight, usually she will start chewing on it then step on it then sometimes I have to tell her to put her other foot up " Other foot" then she's on! so I take her around the cage then I let her down after a few seconds She even let's me hand feed her with seeds and she didn't bite!

You know something ? Kaylee sometimes jump on the cage bars then won't go down till I use the stick :rofl:

So Sunshine learned to chew on the stick when I put it in front of HIM
( he's a male actually) then just today, he learned to step up on the stick but woah he was heavier than Kaylee.

I didn't know budgies were that heavy when on a stick/bowl.

Oh by the way today I got them a new toy at first they wouldn't even go near it but after a few minutes Sunshine came and tried it out Kaylee came to and together they chewed and chewed but one thing I'm worried about is those green bristly things like that feels like the end of a broomstick and like they can pull it out so I'm kinda worried and my brother was all like "Don't worry it's safe" and I was all like " Ho do you know you don't even do researches any more plus they might swallow it and get sick if they do.. Don't blame it on me if they do."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:58 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So is Sunshine definitely a boy? How did you figure it out?!?

Working with your birds is paying off, they're getting tamer!

The green bristly stuff is probably straw or some other natural material, and it's not likely to do any harm. They probably won't eat it - birds in the parrot family just like to chew stuff up, it's part of their natural instinct. Even if they do eat it, it's the sort of thing that can be broken up and passed through the body. If it was plastic it could be a major problem if they swallowed it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:16 pm 
Finch
Finch

So um Sunshine is a recessive pied right.. So their eyes stay solid black as they mature and if their beaks are pink then their males and Sunshine's beak is full pink plus he's heavier than female

Oh found this out on http://www.budgieplace.com/ but not sure about Kaylee she acts like a boy but her beak has light colors like mixture of blue,purple, and white

Dang it! Not straws it feels exactly like the bottom of the broom stick so I better take it out but they enjoy chewing it so what should I replace it with? I'm just afraid they might swallow it while I'm not looking.

Profile E-mail  

Page 3 of 7 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next