Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Bad Budgie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:43 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Hi there,

I have two gorgeous budgies - one albino whose name is Vanilla, who is one year old in April and a Lutino whose name is Lemoncillo, I'm not sure how old she is but I know she is an adult.

My fiance bought Vanilla for me in April last year as a baby and she has been so fun and loving and nice. Then my bird vet said she should have a friend so I bought Lemon from the pet store.

Since then Vanilla has been really cranky towards me and especially mean to Lemon!

At first she was trying to get Lemon to regurgitate food for her but now she doesn't do that anymore. I also thought that Vanilla might think that all the things in their cage are her things, but shouldn't she be over that now?

Vanilla always pecks at Lemon and doesn't let her sit anywhere (sometimes she's okay but most of the time she will chase her away from the perch or food etc).

Don't get me wrong Lemon is very healthy and eats well it's just Vanilla bullies her for example at bed time if Lemon is on a swing (the one I bought for Vanilla but she didn't like it) Vanilla will want that swing. If Lemon is on the perch, vanilla will want that perch.... oh and Vanilla always squarks at Lemon (like she's cranky).

Can anyone help me? Does anyone know what this means?

Also, can you help me because I can't get them to eat fruit or vegies?

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Bad Budgie
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Birds don't always get along well with each other, just like sometimes humans don't get along. It sounds like these two aren't compatible. They should have a flock bond with each other and get excited if one is taken out of the room, but they don't want to be too close together either. The best thing to do is either keep them in separate cages, or keep them in a really big cage so they can put a lot of space between themselves.

I used to have two cockatiels that were like that. If I put them both in the same cage there would be a fight, but if I took one out of the room they'd start screaming for each other.

If you post a nice picture of your budgies, they can be the February bird of the month!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:18 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 4 times
welcome to the forum :)

female budgies often dont get along together, so if theyre both females, that very well could be a factor. some birds also do not do well with others and like their space. theyre just like people in many ways :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:43 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
Put them in 2 big separate cages in the same room just remember animals are like human they can't always have a good reaction to each other.
My budgies do that sometimes 1st few days they just sit around and eat now they fight every then and now or in other words chase each other around and climb around the cage they preen each other and feed each other to and can be NOISY they make many chirps one time they do quick little chirps then a loud CHIRP! Ow my ears hurt :lol: . They bob their heads at each other, peak on each others beak and walking back and forth quickly on their perch.

Quote~ You never know what an animal will do behind your back XD

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's fun to watch them, isn't it? I used to have budgies and they were great birds.

Feeding each other is mating behavior, and if their hormones get too stirred up they might start laying eggs. This is undesirable; the eggs will be infertile because there isn't a male available, and it's an unnecessary strain on their bodies. If it seems like the situation is getting out of hand, there are hormone control techniques that work on most birds: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html

Make sure they get a really good diet too. Calcium deficiency is the primary cause of egg binding, and a member here recently lost a budgie to egg binding. If your birds eat pellets, that's a great source of nutrients. If they don't eat pellets, you might want to try Nutriberries - they're nutritionally equivalent to pellets but more appealing to birds.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:58 pm 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
interesting! But not planning to breed them so so controlling hormone is what I'll try to do.

Kaylee: usually hyper especially when I'm on the laptop at night she jumps from bar to bar and flaps her wing really fast while holding onto a perch, man I really need to get a flight cage like you said.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]