It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:19 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: AGOROPHOBIC BIRD
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:23 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 4 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
:( Guys? I'm a bit stumped here. I just adopted a second cockatiel from a local breeder. His name is Boniface {aka "Fat Birdie"}. Boniface was injured out of cage as a chick apparently. And his first pet-parent passed on a few months before I got him. And I'm not sure how old he is. Boniface seems to become extremely anxious and fearful whenever he is out of cage. When I first got Boniface he was flying into walls. Finally clipped his wings and then that stopped. He seems to be scared of nearly everything {including my other animals}. Breeder said that Boniface was the only pet in his last home. Any ideas?? :(

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AGOROPHOBIC BIRD
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group; I've fixed your permissions so your posts should appear on the forum immediately now instead of having to wait for approval. Unfortunately this is the only way we can keep the spammers out.

It's natural for birds to be frightened in a new home. He will gradually get used to it and will settle down, but it frequently takes a few weeks for this to happen even with a handfed baby. It's likely to take extra time with an older bird who's had some trauma in his life.

You can help him by working to gain his trust. You do this by focusing on making him feel comfortable and safe, and doing things that he likes. Avoid uncomfortable situations and things that he dislikes as much as possible. Your relationship needs to be positive overall.

Our main website has helpful articles on bird psychology, food bribery and positive reinforcement:
http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ology.html
http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... ibery.html
http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... icker.html

If you have any specific questions, please let me know!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 pm 
Egg
Egg

:idea: Hey you guys!!

I think that I found the key to Boniface's heart. Kinda weird. But he has recently made friends with my bluetongue skink Chascamichay {aka "Chasca" and oh btw. By "friends" I mean that Chasca watches him from inside her tank and although Chascamichay is mainly silent he chirps back at her}. So today after I got home I took Boniface out and perched him on top of my computer monitor. Then I went and got Chascamichay from her tank. I brought her out here and put her on my shoulder {I know that that sounds risky but Chasca eats dog food and sometimes cat food so the live prey urge doesn't seem to be there}. Boniface seemed to be more relaxed when Chascamichay was out here. Any thoughts???? :idea:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:40 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The biggest problem here might not be the predator/prey issue, but that all reptiles are potential carriers of salmonella which is deadly to birds and it's not great for humans either. The info at http://www.petplace.com/reptiles/salmon ... page1.aspx says it's possible to test reptiles for salmonella but the test isn't 100% accurate. If the lizard is diagnosed with salmonella it can be treated with antibiotics, but it's basically not possible to eliminate all the bacteria.

The risks of cross-infection will be reduced if you wash your hands between handling the skink and the bird, and avoid putting the skink in places where the bird is likely to be later.

If you think that looking at Chasca truly helps Boniface relax, it's probably safe enough to let him look from a distance. But birds sometimes become very quiet and still when they think a predator is nearby, hoping that the predator won't notice them. My guys do this a lot when they see a hawk out the window. Pet birds aren't always as predator-savvy as they should be, so maybe Boniface really isn't afraid of Chasca, and maybe he even has previous experience with lizards and likes them. But just consider the possibility that maybe relaxation isn't really what's going on. If Boniface makes little soft "beep" sounds while he's looking at Chasca, that's the way cockatiels quietly tell each other there's a predator in the area.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:09 pm 
Egg
Egg

:) :thanks: Ok. Now for some reason Boniface doesn't do that. What he actually did was start singing to her and making all these different vocalizations. It's almost like he is showing off for her I think. :thanks: :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your cockatiel is courting your skink! :lol: Watch out that he doesn't try to mate with her, Chasca probably wouldn't appreciate that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 pm 
Egg
Egg

:) Ok thanks! I'll keep an eye on them when they're out here together. But at he doesn't fly away or attempt an attack. :)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he's singing to her he has something in mind but it's not an attack. Is he making heart wings too? That's when a male lifts his wings up slightly, and when you look at him from behind it looks sort of like a heart shape. It's a nice little romantic move.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:03 pm 
Egg
Egg

:D Ya actually. So I guess I've got an odd couple here. :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:37 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
aaaawwwwwwww very cute.
I also suggest talking to your and playing calm music when your not home.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]