Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Budgie Sound
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Keep an eye on her. If she hasn't passed the egg by morning it would be best to contact an avian vet to see if you should bring her in right away or if they think you should wait a while longer. If seeing a vet isn't possible you can try the techniques in that thread.

Liquid calcium can be a huge help in egg binding cases, and it can also help her produce good-quality eggshells if she keeps laying more eggs after this one. Liquid calcium for birds is fairly difficult to find in pet stores, but liquid calcium for humans will work if the kind for birds isn't easily available. Just make sure it has calcium and vitamin D in it, and doesn't have zinc and iron. Other minerals like magnesium are OK.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm sorry I didn't think of this last night - I was kind of distracted. Is the egg still sticking out of her body? If it is, it might be a prolapse. That isn't something you can fix by yourself so you MUST get her to a competent avian vet if that's the case.

Last night I assumed that she gave a push and you saw the egg for a moment. I'm sorry, I should have asked more questions about it then.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:33 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I did take her to the vet; I called and spoke to him, describing her situation (by then she could hardly walk) and he told me to bring her in. But when we arrived she was dead. Then he proceeds to tell me that the car ride may have been what killed her.
Gee, doc, thanks for making me feel even guiltier for following your directions!

At least if the other female starts acting that way, I'll know what's happening.

Thanks for your help.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:51 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I'm so sorry that you lost her. :sorry: I was worried about her, so thank you for letting me know what happened.

Was it definitely a case of egg binding? Unrelieved egg binding is always fatal in the end, and she must have been severely weakened at the time you took her in. It's possible that the stress of the car ride might have made her death occur a little bit earlier than it would have otherwise, but please don't feel guilty about it. Getting vet help was the only chance you had at saving her, so you had to take her in as a responsible pet owner. She would have surely died if you stayed at home instead of taking her to the vet, and might have suffered longer in the process.

You did the best you could but sometimes our best just isn't enough. You can take comfort in the fact that you were actively trying to save her at the time she passed. Don't worry about anything that you could have done differently; no one has perfect knowledge, and you did what seemed best at the time. She knows that you loved her.

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2