It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:46 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: New Budgie Sound
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I have three parakeets living together for several years now. An older woman and a young couple (although haven't seen any evidence of romantic involvement).
Most interaction takes place between the two females, pecking beaks and sitting together.
In the last couple of days I've been hearing a new type of chirp. Very high pitched but soft. It's not the loud squawks saying they want to be fed or they are fighting. I've tried to get close enough to detect which one is doing it but when I approach they watch me instead.
I don't think it's any type of distress but I'd like to know what is triggering it.
Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Budgie Sound
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Is it possible to get a video of them doing it? Answering your question is just guesswork if we can't see them in action, but here's my guess. If the females like to sit together they might be pair-bonded to each other. If you're in the northern hemisphere then spring is approaching, so maybe this is a little bit of she-budgie romance. They might not have ever done it before, but birds do change their behavior sometimes and maybe their hormones are running a little higher than usual right now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:47 am 
Egg
Egg

I'll try to get a recording; as I said, I can't get too close because it distracts them. The older one laid an unfertilized egg last year (when there was an older male available); they've been sharing the cage for several years and never heard this peeping noise before.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:09 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's possible that the older hen was pair-bonded to the male, and if he isn't there any more then she might be forming a new pair bond with the other female. Birds do form same-sex relationships sometimes, particularly if a suitable opposite-sex bird isn't available.

But you aren't likely to see the usual courtship pattern because they're both females, and the birds themselves might be a bit confused because the other bird isn't doing a song and dance for them. Does any of this sound like it might be a reasonable explanation for what you're seeing and hearing, or do you suspect something else?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:54 am 
Egg
Egg

Finally got a video, it's the old lady peeping.
http://youtu.be/yXgtGBj-XYo

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:25 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hmm. I don't really know what that's about, or whether it's friendly or unfriendly. She could be telling the other bird "pay attention to me" or "back off". If I had to guess I'd say that she's looking for romance, simply because it's spring and the older male is no longer available.

But in any case it seems like a mild message, and probably nothing to worry about. If you think her hormone levels could rise to the point where she might lay eggs, we have information on the main website about preventing that: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html The article was written for cockatiels but applies to parakeets too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:57 am 
Egg
Egg

Ok, thanks. Never sounded like distress but it is certainly different so assume she's trying to communicate something.
She ignores the male so maybe she just wants to gossip.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:03 pm 
Egg
Egg

She's delivering an egg! Seemed like she couldn't fly and was covered in poop on her bottom so I was washing her off and an egg started coming out. Have moved her to a smaller box where she can't fly around.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Maybe hormones were the reason for the sounds after all.

Has she delivered the egg all right? If she has any problems, there's information on emergency first aid for egg binding at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... nding.html

Please keep us updated on how she's doing!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:05 pm 
Egg
Egg

Doesn't look like it. I just checked and she's sitting quietly in the small box. Doesn't seem agitated like before so will leave her alone till morning.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next