View results

Post subject: Re: Is this anything I should be concern about?BUDGIES
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Can you find a picture of this toy on the internet and post the link here? I can look at it and see if I can tell what it is.

You could buy some popsicle sticks at a craft store or dollar store and let them chew those up. They're cheap and the birdies LOVE to destroy them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:24 am 
Finch
Finch

Gave happy chirps: 12 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I can't find it but I found on similar except the one in the birds' cage has colorful ropes yellow,pink, and blue with that blue block next to the pink ropes and yellow ropes.

www.countrymax.com/Stick-Stax-Spindles- ... QgodXVsAuA

BAD NEWS yesterday the cloth I used to cover the cage kept moving and stuff and feathers were flying out of the cage I woke up at night and opened up the cage they acted so innocent so the following day which is today.... I found dried blood! a bit on the food and water bowl and a bit on the cloth and some bars of the cage I looked at Sunshine's wing :yikes: I found dried blood in him too!! Today they fought more than usual so I'll have to separate them .

During training today I tried to test if they were still themselves and Kaylee she steps on the stick but quickly steps down before I left the stick often and walks away when I try to finger feed her.Sunshine well same old thing except Kaylee keeps bothering him

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's hard to tell what the toy is made of because the picture is so small, and I couldn't find a pic that was significantly bigger. There are some parts that look like they might be some kind of thin wood, which is OK. I'm more concerned about the rope bits - any time there are dangling strings on a toy, you have to make sure that they're short enough that they can't get tangled around the bird's leg or other body parts. Budgies have very thin legs so the rope wouldn't have to be very long to be a tangling hazard. I'm not crazy about the loose fibers either, those could cause problems if the birds ate them. But most birds don't eat stuff like that so it may be OK.

BTW our main website has a section on make-your-own bird toys at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/c ... enter.html

If the room was brightly lit when the feathers started flying then it may have been a fight. But if it was dark then it sounds like your birds had a night fright. This is when something startles them in the night and they try to fly away in a panic, the way a wild bird would do if it was threatened by a nocturnal predator. Cockatiels are especially notorious for having night frights but it happens sometimes with other species too. Night frights can do a lot of damage to the wing feathers since the birds end up flapping wildly against the cage bars and anything else that happens to be in the cage. The flapping will usually stop as soon as you turn on the light because then they can see that everything is OK, but it might take a few minutes for them to calm down.

If it was a night fright you don't have to separate them of course. If there's a recurring problem with night frights, it might help to keep a small night light on so the birds can see better and realize that there's nothing dangerous going on. If you can figure out what's setting them off you might be able to do something about it too. But hopefully this won't happen very often.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:46 pm 
Finch
Finch

Oh okay they haven't been eating the green thing and they never got caught on the ropes . They calmed down a lot and Sunshine is healing from that "blood" thing.

Last night I didn't want them to do that again so I only put the cloth on top of it and the night light on as usual.

I checked out that website but I didn't have the materials plus I couldn't go to get the materials at that time either. But I'll find time.

Now I need some training tips for taming Sunshine.He needs to be more secure with the stick coming close to him and eating out of my hand.But, Kaylee just needs to ditch that perch.I'm so excited!

By the way I tried to take a photo of them but it isn't clear.Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Your birds are pretty! It's nice to finally get to see them.

With the training, you mostly just need to have patience. It takes time to win a bird's trust, but if you work on doing things that the bird likes most of the time and trying to avoid doing things that it dislikes, the bird will start to trust you. If you'd like to, you can do some clicker training (the clicker is actually optional). There's more information at http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... icker.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:32 pm 
Finch
Finch

I still need to find out about that and I might try the clicker training!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:41 pm 
Finch
Finch

So ~reading~ okay, so Kaylee got the targeting down she LOVES the stick! Chews on it then sometimes when I hold the stick on the perch she's on she will drag the stick around a bit.
Sunshine only nibbles the stick a little bit but only it's really close to his face
the stick= ok
my hand = AHHH!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
the stick= ok
my hand = AHHH!

That's the beauty of using a stick - it can save your hand. If you like, you can deliver treats on a spoon to keep those nippy beaks away from your fingers. And when you want a bird to step up, you can ask it to step up on a perch that you're holding in your hand. Nobody gets hurt when a bird bites a perch!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:16 pm 
Finch
Finch

VERY TRUE, but in some cases birds are more scared of a perch than their owners' hand.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It depends on the bird. Birds who are afraid of hands are often a lot less scared of a perch. But a bird who is used to the hand and not used to being asked to step up on a perch is likely to freak out if you offer him the perch.

Page 4 of 7 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next