It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:25 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Jealous / Territorial Bird
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:17 pm 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I hope that someone can help me with some tips.
I have a male Indian ringneck, who has been living with me for over a year. He is still quiet young, just over a year.
He has bonded with me and shows jealous behavior, when I have visitors over, like screaming.
I have recently got another Indian ringneck, also a male and about a year old, to be company for my other bird.
My bird vet told me it would be best to get two males to avoid issues during breeding season.
My bird has been showing jealous behavior towards the other bird from when I brought him home.
He even tried yesterday to attack the bird. I have been trying to acquaint both birds slowly, with feeding them with treats at the same time in close proximity. Do you have any tips, how my birds can at least accept each other even if they do not love each other? I really want this to work, because I do not want to give the new bird away.
I really appreciate any help or information anyone could give.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Jealous / Territorial Bird
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Welcome to the group! I'm not an expert on IRNs but any time a parrot shows jealous behavior or aggression it's likely that breeding hormones play a big role in it. There are simple hormone control techniques that are effective on most psittacines. We have an article about it at http://littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/ ... mones.html It takes about a week for the long nights treatment to have an effect on cockatiels. The time frame might not be exactly the same for ringnecks, but it's probably not too different.

It's possible that your birds will never be good buddies, but they will eventually form a flock bond with each other and won't want to be too far apart from each other.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:55 pm 
Egg
Egg

Hello and thanks for your reply.
Is it generally a good sign if birds call out to each other?
My two birds sometimes sing at the same time. Or are they marking their territory?
Also, I guess my bird has bonded with me and might think I am his mate. I am not sure whether that makes him more likely to be jealous and aggressive towards new family members. I think even if I had brought a different bird home, the same thing would have happened.
Have your birds ever had issues like that?
Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know enough abou ringnecks to be sure, but in general it's a good sign when parrots call to each other. It shows that they consider themselves to be members of the same flock who want to stay in communication with each other.

If your bird has a mate bond with you then yes, it would be jealous of any other bird that you bring into the house and pay attention to. The only exception would be if your old bird thought the new bird would be a better mate than you.

One technique that can help with jealousy issues is to always pay attention to the old bird first, and pay attention to the new bird after the old one is satisfied. This helps reassure the old bird that he hasn't lost your affection, and it usually doesn't bother the new bird.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:32 pm 
Egg
Egg

Well, that is a start. I hope they will accept each other soon.
Could it be possible that a male bird could prefer another male bird as mate to a human?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, it's very possible for a bird to form a same-sex mate bond with another bird, especially if an opposite-sex bird is not available.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:58 pm 
Egg
Egg

Well, let's see what is going to happen.
Thanks again for all your help.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]