Page 5 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mr Darcy
PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:12 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I find tiel bromance very cute! Two heart wings, two beak babbling, then they make themselves very tall and then very short... they pace together on a perch, I really find them adorable.
Boy and girl, you know how that's going to be, for what I have seen not much courting or niceties :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Mims is the masturbation queen around here because she's the horniest bird in the house and her boyfriend (Vlad) can't figure out how to mate. She goes at it like she's training for the Olympics.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:29 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Mr Darcy's situation had improved during Bubu's exclusion from the bird room, but I couldn't keep B out forever and as soon as I reintroduced him Darcy went back to his normal self. Nothing of what I have tried has worked, I re-read this thread from the start and it's very sad and disappointing that all the energy and enthusiasm I put in this was all for nothing :cry: :cry:

Last Sunday I went to see a cockatiel-only aviary that is home for about 50 birds; I was impressed by how happy they seem and it's wonderful to see them live as near as nature intended as possible.
I feel like a monster for thinking of giving him away but the situation at home hasn't improved, much the contrary, and being in the bird room is not so great anymore, actually I hate being there.

Anyway, in the aviary at the moment there is a lot of nesting activity and LOTS of fights, so even though I have an appointment for this Friday to hand him over I have decided to wait after the end of the mating season so that he doesn't have to be introduced into the new environment in a moment when there's bound to be hostility towards him.

I am not even sure I'll ever be able to go through this, the idea of him all alone in there is giving me nightmares, so after all maybe being bitten and having an angry partner is a better destiny than feeling like a horrible selfish woman for sending him away. I wish I wasn't so bad at handling difficult birds :cry: When I think of birds like Tsuka I wonder what kind of character you need to care for them... probably a very selfless one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:01 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Do you know if they have unmated females in the aviary? If so, maybe he'll hook up with one later on. I think it's a good idea to not send him there right away, because they WILL resent a strange bird coming into their breeding situation. When the babies fledge the aviary will be full of new birds, and he'll be less noticeable then.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:42 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I have seen a predominance of males, but that can be due to there being many grey males who are possible to sex; there are also many pieds who can't be sexed so maybe the first impression was wrong.
He seems to prefer males, though, so maybe a male predominance wouldn't be that bad anyway?

These are a few pics of the place, bad quality but they show the birds quite well. It's a clever building, with a heated house in the center where they can go in whenever they like it. The weather is miserable in this region so that's a necessity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That is a REALLY nice aviary!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:11 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: hannah
Gave happy chirps: 46 times
Got happy chirps: 23 times
That is the nicest, CLEANEST, and least crowded aviary I've ever seen! Wow! :yikes:

Caspian, and Gracie.....(cockatiels)
  Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can see a bunch of nestboxes hanging on the wall, and a lot of them probably have a parent bird or two inside. So the pictures probably don't show the whole population of the aviary, and the birds are busy at work to increase the population.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:02 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

There are four of them if I remember correctly. One is smaller with a few Alexandrines, one is full of beautiful finches of every possible colour plus quails and other assorted birds... there's even one that looks like a grouse, no idea who he is but really pretty. Another one has budgies and various parrot types.
I particularly appreciated the fact that cockatiels and budgies are kept separated, usually you seem them housed together.

The whole is mantained by ONE lady, she really is a hero taking care of all those birds on her own.
The aviaries are in the middle of a public park so everyone can enjoy them, a cafe with outside tables just next to the aviaries, really nice setting.
Still, you know, it's not home, a protected place... Birdies have to fend for themselves and that's scary.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'll have to use your own best judgment on this one. You can't send him there right away because of the breeding activity, so there's time to wait and see what happens.

Page 5 of 6 [ 57 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next