It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:29 am

Page 5 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scared and Biting bird Plz HELP!!!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:28 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Good to hear the birds are getting on well together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
For some lovebird-based humor, check out the "lovebird's dream" thread: viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1481 It's hilarious because it describes their personality so perfectly.

Keeping your birds in a room with a lot of human activity is great, it promotes the flock bond and provides entertainment for both the birds and the humans. If it's a little too much for everyone late at night you can always use a small cage in a quieter room as a sleep cage.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:05 am 
Chick
Chick

Name: Robert
Gave happy chirps: 17 times
Got happy chirps: 4 times
Ok so birds are getting along great but now I noticed the white one's poop is getting stuck in her feathers is there really anything I can do about it. They have started preening each other so maybe the male will take care of this?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most likely she'll take care of it herself since budgies don't preen each other on the heinie lol. But poop shouldn't really be getting stuck to the feathers and maybe she needs to drink a little more liquid to make the poop drop out more easily. She's still adjusting to a new home which is stressful even though she seems to be pretty happy there.

What's their diet like? You can clip some nice leafy greens to the cage bars for them to nibble on, and if they eat it this will add moisture, vitamins and fiber to the diet. If they're not used to this sort of thing they might not take to it right away, but if you keep offering it to them they'll probably start eating it eventually.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:38 am 
Chick
Chick

I've been giving them blueberries the lutino seems to like them and millet. The other will eat millet from my hand but i'm going to try the carrot greens and see what happens.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carrot greens are an excellent veggie for birds, and the long thin 'stem' shape is helpful because it resembles the grasses they would chew on in the wild.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:00 pm 
Chick
Chick

Birds are both doing good it's like they were raised together. Now I know this is all months away but hypothetically if I were to breed them based upon what you know of bird genetics what colors do you think I would get. I know a little about genetics from breeding guinea pigs and various reptiles but this is the first bird I've ever owned. And I also want your honest to God opinion on whether you think I should take my sister's lovebird and if I do would it be best to get another for it or leave it by itself since it's been alone for 3 yrs. Also what forum should I list these new questions after since your advice has done wonders and my bird is no longer biting. Amarillo and Piper (the new piebald) thank you from the bottom of their little keety hearts.

P.S. The Lutino ate so many carrot greens I think he's going to poop like a Rottweiler tomorrow lol. And if I did this right here's a link to a funny bird video http://www.break.com/video/bird-bites-owner-and-laughs-2567762

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The quaker parrot in the video is adorable! They're known for being nippy though, and I've heard them described as 'a mean green biting machine'.

Amazon parrots are worse. They love drama and some of them think it's funny to bite people and watch the people scream and jump back. Some of them have figured out that if they act very sweet and cuddly, unsuspecting people will put their hands within biting range and the parrot can nail them.

Budgie genetics is complicated and you might be sorry you asked this question lol. You can have more than one mutation in the same bird. In fact Piper has two mutations - she's both blue and pied. The question is what kind of pied, because there are several different types in budgies. There's a nice guide to budgie mutations at http://cutelittlebirdiesaviary.weebly.c ... guide.html and based on the pictures there I think she's recessive pied. If you have any questions about the terminology on the website, let me know and I'll try to explain.

Some genetic basics. There are three main types of color inheritance in birds: dominant, recessive, and sex-linked recessive. There are some less common types too but there's no need to get into those. With a dominant mutation, a bird needs only one copy of the gene to be visual for the mutation. With a recessive gene, a bird needs two copies of the gene (one from each parent) to be visual, and if it has only one copy of the gene it is said to be split to that mutation. A bird who is split to a mutation will not be visual for that mutation, but can have babies with that mutation if the mate also has the gene.

Sex-linked mutations are where it gets messy, and if you want to get into the whys and hows we have an article about it here: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... inked.html I'll just stick with the practical results for now. Lutino is a sex-linked recessive mutation, and the daughters of a lutino male will all be visual lutino (in addition to any other mutations that they might have). A lutino male will NOT have visual lutino sons unless mom is also a visual lutino, so you won't get any lutino boys from this pair. But the boys will be split lutino since they will all get the gene from dad. You'll know the sex of the babies as soon as they hatch. The girls will be lutino and will have the red eyes to prove it, and the boys will not be lutino and will have dark eyes.

Getting back to basics again, there are three sources of color in budgies: melanin which is a black pigment; psittacin which is a yellow pigment and also produces orange/red/pink color in some species; and structural color, which is a special structure in some feathers that makes the light reflect in a way that makes melanin look like green or blue to our eyes. The feather structure does not affect the appearance of the yellow pigment, just the melanin.

The lutino gene removes the melanin, and that's why yellow is the only color you see on Amarillo (white is the absence of any pigment at all in the feather).

The blue gene removes the yellow pigment. This may sound odd at first, but green is a combination of blue and yellow, and when you remove the yellow from a green bird you're left with blue.

The pied gene removes the melanin from some feathers but not from all. Piper has no yellow coloring so she looks blue in areas that still have melanin in the feathers and white in areas where there's no melanin in the feathers.

Blue and pied are ordinary recessive mutations, so to get babies in these colors both parents have to have the genes. Amarillo could actually be recessive pied in addition to being lutino, or he might be split to it. The pied gene tries to take out some of the melanin but the lutino gene takes out all of it, so in effect the lutino masks the pied. We know he doesn't have the blue mutation because the yellow color wouldn't be there if he did; but he could be split to blue. Both birds could be split to other things as well. You won't know for sure until you see what colors you get in the nestbox. When we know what kind of babies you're getting we can figure out what hidden splits the parents must have.

It would be really cool if Amarillo was split to blue, because then you could get blue lutino girls. This combination gives you the color that most people call albino - an all-white bird with red eyes. The lutino gene takes out all the melanin and the blue gene takes out all the psittacin, so you're left with no color pigment at all.

There's a budgie genetic calculator that can help you figure out what results you can get from different combinations of parent genes: http://www.gencalc.com/gen/eng_genc.php?sp=0Budg It's not for the faint-hearted though. The terminology that they use and the way they display the results is a lot more complicated than it needs to be. Personally I would stay away from it if I didn't need to use it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

P.S. You'll definitely get some green and yellow boys from this pair. If Amarillo is NOT split to blue then we can expect all the boys to be green.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:51 pm 
Chick
Chick

I do know for a fact that Piper is a recessive pied and I actually know the man I bought Amarillo from because I volunteer in his store from time to time because I have a tom of experience with reptiles. I'll ask him tomorrow if Amarillo was split with blue. I have seen that he had all white keets. It seemed like they had black eyes but I could be mistaken.

But the bird my sister has is actually a quaker parrot then?
I told her it was not a lovebird but she insisted it was.
If I do get it do you know enough about them to help me
tame it after 3 yrs of not leaving a cage?

Profile E-mail  

Page 5 of 7 [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next