It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:27 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can someone please give me some advice....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:19 am 
Egg
Egg

Name: Jean
Gave happy chirps: 0 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
I have a almost 8 month old female Parakeet who I've had since she was about 6 wks old.. Last Christmas, I received a male Parakeet, who was about 5-6 months old at that time..(So he's approx. 4 months older than the female)... In the last month or so, I have noticed that my female can get very aggressive with my male.. Biting at his feet, his feathers, chasing him away from everything and anything that happens to be in their cage... It has gotten so bad, that I've had to separate them at night just so the male can have some peace.. I always make sure that there's at least 2 of everything, but that doesn't matter to her. This isn't happening 24/7, but at least 3-4 times a day I catch her biting him. Any advice from anyone please? Do you think they really do like each other and she's just having a 'bad moment'? Thanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Can someone please give me some advice....
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Are there times when she's willing to share? It's normal for birds to squabble with each other, and even mated pairs will fight sometimes. If she's specifically defending the cage, it's likely that she consdiers that area to be her "nest" and does NOT consider him to be her mate. If that's the case, there are simple hormone control techniques that can reduce her hormone levels and restore peace: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html

If that doesn't work then separate cages will be the best solution to the problem. Birds don't always get along, whether they're the same sex or opposite sex. But even if they don't want to be too close to each other, they will still form a flock bond and won't want to be too far apart either.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:24 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Are you sure she is a female? Females can fight as well but I am thinking male.

Is there anything in her cage that she thinks is her mate and is trying to protect it from your other bird?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
With budgies, the girls tend to be more aggressive than the boys. So I'm thinking female lol.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:30 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
In that case I go with female as well LOL :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:36 am 
Egg
Egg

I'm positive she's a she..LOL... and as far as any one thing in particular that she defends, no, it's everything.. toys, fruits/veggies, food bowls, etc... Example (just happened in last 15 min)... Both birds were on top of the cage, the female was standing on the opened door, she turned around, jumped at him and started biting.. His back was to her... She will chase him around the cage until he flies out. And yes, she does share more than bicker with him.. It's just the times that he will be quiet and happy and out of nowhere she starts biting.. Thanks to all for your replies and advice... :dance:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:47 am 
Egg
Egg

Image... these are my babies.... Skye Byrd and Jasper...

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]