Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Getting Emma Into the Caage
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:54 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
For months I toweled her, just dimmed the lights and caught her (they don't fly in the dark).
Then it happened that another naughty boy joined my flock and he didn't want to go to bed either, AND he hated being toweled..
The idea of toweling (and terrifying) two of them didn't seem much fun so I asked around in this forum, this is the thread
http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1547
It really worked for both of them, I just nag them to step up on the stick, they know that when I do that I will not stop until they get into the cage... they go so I stop pestering them :D :D

It has the double advantage for me to be also able to move them from one part of the room to another, at any time of the day, not just at night. I feel a bit like a lion tamer with the stick, as soon as it appears in my hands they pay attention.
I help little Sesamo putting a colorful platform at the cage entrance, so she can't get confused on where she's supposed to land. The other boy doesn't need help: sees the stick, and walks into his cage muttering to himself, he is quite funny :D

Just remember that in the dark they don't fly, so if the situation gets desperate or too frustrating you can always make the room dark and catch Emma like that. I have shutters I can put on during the day to make the room dark, maybe a very heavy curtain can work too.
I found that darkness is such a good friend when it comes the time to make them do things they don't want to do, I build the shutters myself. Best idea ever!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 10:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
They tend to not fly in the dark but will do it if they're scared badly enough - that's what night frights are about. So if you want to try catching them in the dark, I'd advise having a light source close at hand so you can provide some light quickly if they actually do take off.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:29 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
When I was in my thirties I read a psychology book called "Games People Play." It was about analyzing behavior in terms of game theory.

One of the games was "Yes, but." In that game, player number 1 asks for advice. Player number 2 gives advice. Player number 1 says, "Yes, but . . ."

The game can continue indefinitely.

The point was supposed to be that people ask for advice but don't take it, because they really don't want to solve the problem.

It has always stuck with me, mostly as a cautionary note about my own behavior. However, I think the analysis is often unfair to player number 1.

The reason I bring this up is that I am afraid I sound like Player number 1.

It is hard to believe, but I have tried lights out (she flies madly around in the dark) and pursuing her indefinitely with a perch. The only way I have been able to catch her is with a butterfly net, which is very stressful for us both, and still involves chasing her until she is exhausted.

So, today I took her to an avian vet and had her wings clipped.

I think what Barbara says about how nice it is when they come to you voluntarily is true. But, it's not that she wouldn't come to me. She would come to my arm and shoulder frequently if she thought treats were forthcoming (and they frequently were). She just wouldn't come to me if it was time to go into the cage.

When I got home from the vet, she tried to fly and fluttered to the ground. After a few minutes she stepped up onto a perch I offered her (after hissing at it), and I put her on top of her cage.

Emma and I are both exhausted. We both had a hard day. And, we're both grieving for her temporarily lost flying ability. I console her from time to time with a sunflower seed, which she still accepts from me.

Tomorrow is another day, and another chapter in our relationship.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Most birds adjust very quickly to not being able to fly very well. My birds are actually a lot calmer when they're clipped - if they're able to fly well, they seem to feel obligated to spook and panic fly at every little thing. But if they can't fly well they're more inclined to stay put, without seeming nervous about every little noise.

This will be a learning period for her, and if she learns to accept that sometimes she has to go in the cage, you'll be able to let her grow her wings out later. This would be a really good time to practice putting her in the cage for no reason at all sometimes, giving her a reward, and leaving the door open so she can come back out any time she wants to.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Dianne, ultimately you need to do what is right for you and your birds.
I used to be against clipping 100%, no discussions or buts about it. Then stuff happens in your life and you are forced to review your position.
I still think that clipping is incredibly unfair to our birds, but there are situations where it's unavoidable.
Our caique is clipped, and will stay clipped, because otherwise I'd be forced to rehome him. Your Emma hopefully will learn to cooperate and you won't need to go through this ordeal again.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

How's she doing now? Hopefully she's being happy AND cooperative.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:01 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Emma was very quiet yesterday. I have a 6 inch round swing at the top of the flight cage. She was up there, on the very top of it, most of the day. She came out just a little while in the afternoon and mostly slept on top of the cage.

I think yesterday was upsetting and exhausting for her. I am giving her some time to settle back in.

I did go over several times and gave her a sunflower seed from my hand, which she accepted.

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2