It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:31 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Baby cockatiels are terrified of me!
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:46 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I don't know what I did wrong?! My 3 babies are very scared of me :(

I am a full time cockatiel parent but after 2 days of the babies rejecting formula they started to hate me. They fly away when they see and hate step up.

I never fed Marshmallow like that in my life and she was so tame with people. I dont give them too much attention. The babies are in the aviary with other birds. Do you think thats the reason? I rally worked hard on them. I socialized with them everyday of their lives until they were a month old. I feel terrible.

Brought the oldest with me in the bathroom because it was the smallest place in the house and he kept flying around the room.

What can I do?

Post subject: Re: Baby cockatiels are terrified of me!
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:11 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Never mind everyone.

First off, baby#1 whistled for the first time!! It was beautiful

update: I tried again on taming and it we went so far!! He ate millet and stepped up and stayed, he even lets me give him head scritches now...and he loves them! He is right now sleeping on my shoulder after a preen.

Post subject: Re: Baby cockatiels are terrified of me!
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:54 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The babies might have disliked it because you were trying to handfeed them - at this age my babies HATE being restrained, and I switch to giving them their formula on a spoon so they can take what they want on their own initiative without me touching them at all. They feel very grown up now and don't want to eat like babies any more! They might still need some handfeeding formula but let them take it the way they want it instead of trying to use a syringe. You're using the right approach by holding millet spray for them to eat - they still associate your hands with food, and grown-up style food may interest them more than baby food does.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]