Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Boy super-attached to his mirror and crying at bed time
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:52 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I have one bird who was donated a few days ago. He was a very much loved pet. Obviously since I am the crazy tiel woman he came to my house :lol:
My plan for these birds I get is to couple them up, if they are tame or tame-ish, and then rehome them to a good forever home (unless I get too attached as it happened with Keith).

He had never seen a cockatiel in his life (he's about 7yo), lived in a very small cage which is, I think, one of the first models Ferplast ever made, but that wasn't a problem because the door was always open and he was free to go in and out as he pleased. He would sleep out of the cage sometimes.
I have been told that he's quite a character, forever chattering, talking to objects his size, he'll sit on his owner shoulder and they would watch telly together while eating apple.

When I took him in he was shellshocked, you could tell.
He was completely mute and sat in front of a small mirror looking at his friend behind the glass.
I was worried about this mirror but I didn't want to upset him and take it away.
He went out a couple of time, did a little exploratory flight around and then went back in (he was in my bedroom).

Yesterday I took him to the bird room. He was starting yelling and calling to those unseen tiels so I thought well, now I show you who's there!
He went bonkers lol. went out of his cage and it was such a pleasure to see him flying around, learning to sit on the ropes etc.

Now I have two problems, and I hope you tiel owners can help me with those.

First problem: the little mirror. I want to snap him off his obsession for this mirror, but I don't want to upset him. He's having a hard time right now and I don't want to add to his stress. How long before I can take the mirror away?

Second problem: Bed time.
In his previous life he was free to go in and out day and night. He usually would go in the cage to feed and then out again.
I am not keen on letting my birds out at night, I can't control them if they get into some scrape plus the ones outside disturb the sleep of the ones in the cages.

So, last night, after all the excitement of seeing so much tielness, he didn't want to go back in, can you blame him? And I had to towel him.
It was the shock of my life, he started CRYING. I felt (and I still am a bit shaken) like a war criminal and I don't think I can do that again tonight.
In the bird room the food is all laid on a table by the window, so he doesn't need to go into his cage to eat.
After he went (toweled) in his cage he sat again in front of the mirror staring at it. He felt bad and I felt badder :(

The question is: what can I do to make him go in without making him cry? I can't take it.
There is another question linked to this one. The cage is so small, I would like to move him into a bigger one with a companion for the night, is it too early for that? should I leave him in the small one for now?
I was thinking that maybe if he had a bigger one with someone else in it he'd be happier to go in at night, but he's already seen so many changes in these few days, I don't want to stress him more.
What you guys think?

This is a pic of his cage, the older members might remember that model

And this is him staring at his lil mirror

He's such a tiny pretty boy :) Well, maybe not pretty-pretty, but what do I know? They look all pretty to me lol

Post subject: Re: Boy super-attached to his mirror and crying at bed time
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:01 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I would start by moving the mirror to a different spot in the cage. Then move it outside the cage, then further and further. I didn't do that though. My first bird Jail Bird was obsessed with her mirror. I just took it out and she was alright. She became much friendlier to me also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:02 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Stephanie answered your first question. I'll try to answer the rest.

Quote:
In his previous life he was free to go in and out day and night. He usually would go in the cage to feed and then out again.
I am not keen on letting my birds out at night, I can't control them if they get into some scrape plus the ones outside disturb the sleep of the ones in the cages.

That's good. Birds shouldn't be let out of their cages at night. There are so many risks that can happen. You should let him have his fun at day time, but when it's night, he has to go in his cage. I have one question, why isn't he allowed to sleep with your other cockatiels? Is there no room? Maybe sleeping with other birds can make him feel better than sleeping by himself.

Maybe you can try to lure him in there with millet. You can also change his food before you put him in so he will think that going back to his cage means yummy food. Maybe some veggies too.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:07 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 23 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
How does he feel about human whistling?

JJ is frequently bratty about going into his cage, but he's enchanted by my whistling so I whistle to him when I ask him to step up and while I carry him back to his cage.

A routine will probably help too--making bed time the exact same time each time should get him used to knowing what to expect when, so he'll be a bit calmer. My mother's splendid parakeet still isn't handtame, but she knows exactly when bed time is and will fly herself to her cage as soon as I start dimming the lights.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:22 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Drummer my old tiel... has a thing about a bell in his cage.. he lays out-stretched on his tummy under it most of the day.... if I remove it he is upset... what I'd do is leave his mirror where it is... his cage he is use to... make friends with him, once he trusts you maybe move him to a bigger cage if you think it necessary... Drummer's cage now isn't much bigger than that one. As your bird can come out when he wants, I don't think I'd worry.... about bed time... Id towel him and, put him in his cage, shut the door cover it and leave him to it.... he will settle... he cant rule you... My advise leave his cage, and mirror, till such time as he is really at home with you.. Then do what you think is right for him... hope this is some help...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
For now, I'd use his mirror-love to help get him back in the cage if possible. Will he sit on your hand if you're holding a mirror? Will he go into his own cage this way, or into a different cage?

I agree with not letting him stay out at night. My flock would prefer to sleep on top of the cages not in them, but I don't allow it. Put all the other birds in their cages first and save him for last, so there's not as much excitement going on and he sees that this is standard practice. If he won't go peacefully even with the mirror lure, you can turn the lights off for a while so he gets sleepy, then put him in the cage before he wakes up enough to resist. One of my current babies doesn't want to go in the cage at bedtime so this is how I'm dealing with him.

For now I'd let him keep his old cage. He's used to it and it's his safety zone. After he's been with you for a month or so he'll have more confidence about his new living conditions, and changes will be easier for him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:14 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Thank you all for the suggestions and techniques, all good by the way! I was reading some stuff on the Internet, I thought ok these people are stupid.
I know here I can find sane ideas.
I have been leaving him for last and he kinda knows what is about to happen. I haven't tried luring him with a mirror which was stupid of me, that could work given his obsession.
Baruch to answer your question he is not allowed to sleep with other birds right now because his cage is minuscule, plus it contains the coveted mirror and I can see murder in the future if I put another bird inside there

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:24 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Jan I agree that they can't rule me. Right now I have 14 tiels and a brown headed parrot in that room. I am not for enforcing discipline at all, but one thing I can't slack on is bed time.
Most of it is my fault because between the new light (red) and the time changes (I am working until late every night in the bird room) they feel entitled to be stupid. My old members don't worry me, they even go early in, choosing the cage they like most for the night, but I am afraid I am confusing the new guys.
I already changes the light back to white.
Tonight I will try the mirror luring. I wish I could say that singing would help... They are more likely to riot if I start singing lol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:39 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Quote:
Baruch to answer your question he is not allowed to sleep with other birds right now because his cage is minuscule, plus it contains the coveted mirror and I can see murder in the future if I put another bird inside there

I was actually thinking why the new bird can't sleep in the bird room? I think you answered it in your last post.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]