Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Claudia is having a disastrous effect on the flock :(
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:14 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
She is wild, and in my opinion she shouldn't be kept in a cage or even in a bird room. But here she is and I have to deal with it.
I am still trying to read her leg band so hopefully I can return her to the rightful owner but it's not easy, her being so strong. Even when I towel her she moves all the time. Tonight I will try with some help from Paul and maybe in two we will be able to read the numbers.

Now, my worry is that she is making everyone a lot more skittish and flighty. Sweet Frank refused to be put in the cage last night, never happened before! They all seem taking a bit of her attitude.

I was thinking, since it's becoming a nightmare to put them to sleep, to move the daily food inside the cages, so that they realise that cage = food and will go inside... so I can lock them in.

I hate the idea because I love to put big plates out on the table and stuff hanging from the ropes, but maybe I have to change this.

What you guys think?

Or should I keep Claudia in a different room (caged) and teach her a bit of discipline? I am not even sure that she would learn anything!
The first days she would come to my lap and eat crumbs like everyone else, now she doesn't do that anymore! I guess it's because I towel her every night :(

Post subject: Re: Claudia is having a disastrous effect on the flock :(
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:00 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
If it were me, I guess I would try putting her in a different room, caged.

It sounds pretty difficult. Sorry you are going through this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:34 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
How do you get her into the cage at night - does she go peacefully or is there a big struggle? Do you put her in before or after the other birds?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:41 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I wrote this huge paragraph this morning but then my phone died and poof, it was gone.

My Cloudia is the same thing, if not, more. I can't walk in the aviary without her freaking out like crazy. I just want to say that i'm sorry your going through some confusion with what to do with Claudia (I LOVE the spelling) and I hope everything turns out OK for the both of you.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:19 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

tielfan wrote:
How do you get her into the cage at night - does she go peacefully or is there a big struggle? Do you put her in before or after the other birds?

I put everyone else in first. If I do her first what happened is everybody starts flying and running from me. Maybe they think it's a new game, the silly dummies!
No, first everyone else, then it takes about one hour to wear her down to the point that she will sit down on the floor panting. ONE HOUR MINIMUM I am not joking, she is amazingly strong.
I follow her around offering the stick to hop on, and never let her rest, this is how Sesamo and Rocky Strider learned to go in by themselves.
I have a spot for one cage in my bedroom right now, if you guys think that it might be worth trying I can keep her caged here a few days.
I think she's aviary, not sure it's even fair trying to tame her, but what else can I do!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:51 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Try keeping her caged for a while... may quieten her down... my guess is she is making all the other birds crazy like herself... sounds like its going to take lots of TLC and discipline.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:49 am 
Conure
Conure

I do the same exact thing with my Cloudia. I recently learned a trick. You have to be REALLY quick. The quicker, the less time you will need to spend. It will probably be harder because your bird room is bigger than my aviary.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:51 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Haimovfids wrote:
I do the same exact thing with my Cloudia. I recently learned a trick. You have to be REALLY quick. The quicker, the less time you will need to spend. It will probably be harder because your bird room is bigger than my aviary.

It will be harder because you're younger and immensely quicker :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:55 am 
Conure
Conure

Oh. I don't need to take that much effort. She is terrified of the towel, so I don't have to be on her for her to get scared. I use the same technique as you. I make her really tired. It takes me 2 seconds to get a grip on her because I feel like she will bite me through the towel. She is one scary women. She opens her beak so wide and starts screaming her head off.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:03 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

These Cloudias! They are little Devils.
My problem, Baruch, is that if she flies on one of the branches it becomes dangerous to towel her because the wings can get trapped between the twigs. The only safe place to towel her is either on the floor or when she's crawling on a cage.
I left her out last night and now she is placidly eating crumbs on my leg.
This is another reason I don't want them out at night : they starve!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next