It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:00 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: News from My Flock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:27 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
It's hard to believe that it is almost four months since I had Emma clipped!

Most of her flight feathers have grown back in, and she's starting to realize that she can now fly.

A couple of times recently she has flown from the top of the cage to the other side of the room where I am working on my laptop and perches on the monitor. She will then sometimes jump onto my arm if I offer it, then goes right back to the monitor.

It's kind of nice to see her able to fly again. I don't plan to clip her again unless we start having serious problems with going back into the cage. I think we have gotten into good habits over the last few months. She knows she gets a sunflower seed after she goes in. She definitely waits for it.

Meanwhile, Silver is getting a little bit better at steering. He used to end up in the oddest places when he flew off the cage--often at the other end of the house. However, yesterday I saw him twice fly around the living room and end back on top of the cage. This is good progress.

I am discovering that Silver is very jealous. If I start talking to Emma when she is on top of the cage he leaves whatever he was doing and comes right over and inserts himself between us.

Piper is still crazy about Emma. When everyone first comes out of the cage he stays right close to her. He still mates with her. She seems to like it. However, Emma and Silver have been spending more time close together. Emma actually let Silver preen her briefly a couple of days ago.

I just got a new swing for them. It's a 5" circle, parallel to the ground, covered in rope and with three rope pieces that attach it to the hanger. I have it suspended over the top of the cage, where they play when they are out. They are having a lot of fun with it this afternoon.

Their other favorite thing is taking small objects out of baskets and jars and throwing them down onto the floor.

Oh, my! I just saw Piper trying to climb onto Emma's back. She wasn't receptive. She sort of squawked and threw him off. Then, Silver came over and chased Piper away. Happened a couple of times. Piper flew off and did something else for a while. I think he's denial about being a small bird.

I love watching the interactions among them. If I am down, they always make me smile.

Post subject: Re: News from My Flock
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:38 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I am shocked by how much progress you made with Emma in almost 16 weeks!

I love hearing updates about your birds. They make me so happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:42 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

You're very sweet, Baruch. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:45 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

By the way, Snowy is still doing very well in his new home. He has a buddie budgie he shares the cage with, and my neighbor reports they spend all their time together, talking to one another and preening each other. I am so happy that Snowy is happy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:56 pm 
Conure
Conure

I'm so glad Snowy is happy. I wanted to mention him but I didn't want to ruin that exciting moment of progress we were having with your birds with something sad. Is there a way we can see pictures of Silvers feathers? I wonder how many more pearls he lost since the last update. It's really exciting seeing your boy grow up. My birds are growing new flights as well, and I am recently seeing Tommy and Levy growing solid tail feathers.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:04 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I will post a new picture of Silver soon.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:17 pm 
Conure
Conure

Yay! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Quote:
Their other favorite thing is taking small objects out of baskets and jars and throwing them down onto the floor.

This is called avian fetch. It's the opposite of dog fetch. With dog fetch the human throws something for the dog to retrieve. With avian fetch the bird throws something for the human to retrieve.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:36 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Some of my guys are avian fetch believers, especially Bubu and Frank :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:52 pm 
Conure
Conure

Quote:
This is called avian fetch. It's the opposite of dog fetch. With dog fetch the human throws something for the dog to retrieve. With avian fetch the bird throws something for the human to retrieve.

OMG :roffle: :roffle: :roffle: that is so true!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]