It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:45 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What specific nutrients are important for molting?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:50 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
All 4 of my birds are currently molting. I knew Coyote was molting, but I just found about 803284907823 feathers at the bottom of the budgies' cage.

Is there anything in particular you should push, food wise, for molting or is their regular diet good enough?

I usually just feed my birdy bread every day (eggs with shells, various veggies, pellets, seed mix, olive oil and Trader Joe's corn bread mix) mixed with their regular seed/pellet mixture and add in a generous amount of that Kaytee molting supplement powder (has seeds and pellets and who knows what in it). I'm thinking that mix gives them more protein than they'd normally get which is what I assume they need since feathers are, you know, mostly protein, right?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: What specific nutrients are important for molting?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:20 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Mine doesn't seem to need anything more than
a good mixed diet, yours is a good mix...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:58 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Oops! I meant to put this under Diet and Nutrition. Can this thread be moved please?

Thanks!

Also, is the egg shell on a cooked egg even worth giving? As in, is it in a proper form for the calcium to be absorbed if eaten?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:19 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Your giving them a great diet for molting! I was going to recommend Brewers yeast but you already have a molting supplement.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:48 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thanks for the replies! I need to make more birdie bread as they've ripped through my last batch pretty fast. Yesterday and today I fed them a mash of hard boiled egg (with shell), cilantro and some veggies I found in the freezer (broc and peas). Mixed with their pellet/seed and molting powder stuff of course. It was... not a hit. But whatever, Coyote always has access to Nutriberries and I make sure the budgies have a chance to indulge in regular seed/pellet/molting powder mix in the evening.

I pour my left overs in various parts of my front and back yard and I think I have a little bird seed garden starting up in my back yard! Unfortunately, my dog keeps eating it all up so I don't know if I'll actually get any millet or anything from it but it would be fun if any survived to that point.

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]