It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Page 1 of 6 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: My flock
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:19 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I just noticed that some birds in my flock became aggressive. Never had a big problem with this before. I saw today one of the younger babies who I considered a sweet birds, was attacking other birds when he wanted a seat for himself, and he even followed them continuing attacking them. It's not that they had a fight but other birds just had to leave where they were sitting.

Another problem is Cuddles going to sleep. She is always the last one to enter the cage. She learned to follow everybody into the cage when it's a bedtime (doesn't mean it happens quickly LOL), and she certainly doesn't want me to catch her, so I let her get in. But it's a whole 15 minute show HOW she gets in... I have Prevue cage, similar to tielfan's but smaller. There is a door that is open (on hinges, like a normal human type door). All other birds get in without any problems. First of all, instead of getting inside on the side where there is no door, she always tries to get in on the side the door is attached- which is a pain in the butt for her. Then she sits on the door pretending she is stuck there. She's just missing that opening where she is supposed to enter! I wonder if she is really THAT DUMB or she is playing dumb. She seems like she wants in but she can't and she's even in panic because I keep pressing verbally. Finally, I get tired and turn off the light giving her the last warning that I am about to catch her in the dark to put in! Sometimes this is what I have to do and she hates in! What could it be? Could bird loose her smartness as a result of soft shelled egg in the past?

Post subject: Re: My flock
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:23 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Your babies might be starting to get hormonal and that's the reason for the aggression. They start very young, long before they're old enough to actually be good parents.

I don't know what's happening with Cuddles - she's had some health issues and it's possible that an ongoing problem is interfering with her physical or mental abilities. It might help to install a perch in front of the door. A short rope perch is good for this, you just bend the ends so it's like a broad, shallow U shape, and attach it to the cage. I've never been able to find wooden store-bought perches in the right shape, but you can make your own wooden perch for the entryway out of a tree branch that's got an L-shaped bend in it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 10:23 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you. perch is a good idea
by the way, what you think about edible perches? are they junk that should be avoided or OK?

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've tried the edible perches. The birds didn't eat them lol, and some of the perches weren't stable. I think the material was too soft for them to keep a good grip on the screw inside. I've got a little one that comes in handy sometimes as an entryway perch in front of a nestbox.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 4:38 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I bought a cuttlebone perch once. Collecting dust now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:09 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

cuttlebone perches are fine if birds like them.
I meant one of this kind
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wild-Harvest- ... s/19717922

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:43 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I have 2 cinnamon pied baby girls who I could easily tell apart by the tips of the fly feathers. One has a checker like pattern: dark light dark light, while another one has dard dark light light. Today I noticed that checker baby somehow has one of her wings identical to her sister's. I guess she is molting and grew a different pattern... If the same happens to another wing, I won't be able to easily tell them apart. Is it possible that they change color pattern as they grow? None of my other birds had it this way so far

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:00 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I have a perch shaped like a seashell. I was skeptical about it (may have come in a surprise box). It is one of my tiels' favorite perching spots. They chewed on it when I first got it. Now, they mostly just perch there. What a surprise. I should probably get a second so they each have one.

I also have a rope perch shaped in a "U" outside their door. They love, love perching there. It was helpful when I first got Emma in helping her to get out of the cage.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pied is somewhat variable so you might not see the exact same pattern every time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:29 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

During the last few days my birds fly like crazy very fast when sound from outside scares them. Or maybe they find it a fun activity and it's hormonal? The weather cooled down and I keep windows open. Anyway, I am very scared that somebody can get injured again. Tatot Tot already got wound on his face, between eye and his nostril, I believe from running into something. It's getting better though and he behaves like always (at the beginning he was under the weather)
Anything I can do? I am tired to always keep windows shut. Now it's cool at night so I could leave some windows open but I am running AC thinking they can have a night fright if sounds scares them. We need to save on electricity a little

Page 1 of 6 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next