It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:31 am

Page 3 of 6 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: My flock
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:46 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Some news. Today I came in to see that someone was mating.... Something that haven't happened for 4 months. I saw it was Trilie but was wondering who the girl was. It was Cuddles. Yes, surrounded by all the children. ... Well at least kids are not mating... Any ideas?
Also I was gone for 2 days and one night. The first night hubby couldn't get into cage 2 birds. He left light on but covered birds in the cage. Everybody was OK. The second night he got all 10 into the cage. They didn't have any night frights while I was gone. He was giving them tap water but I guess for 2 days it wasn't a problem.
Tonight I went to the theater and was coming home late. Again all 10 were in the cage and locked when I came back. I'm so proud of them:)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

how much I dislike stupid birds... today when I was walking thru the door from outdoor area into the house, some birds broke back into the house because I believe they got scared of some outside noise. That means that birds in the house will be screaming for those who stayed outside, and who knows which part goes where (either birds who stayed outside would come in or there is a chance that inside birds will decide to go back out) . Today outside birds were good and stayed there while I was having door open trying to lure those inside - back out. All of them went out expect Trillie who was screaming like crazy inside but unable to find the rest of the birds (with the front door wide open). What a dummie :) He wouldn't allow me to pick him up and take there.
I have a theory. The more you allow while they are little, the smarter they grow. I mean if babies are exploring and are free to do what they want, they will be smart. Trillie was probably raised in bird store with his wings clipped always in the cage. Same for Cuddles probably.

Last edited by Chipper on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:26 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Letting babies learn to fly and explore definitely helps increase their confidence and mental capability. It's the same with human children lol. The more stimulating experiences they get when they're young, the smarter they will be when they're older.

Use long nights on your parent birds and try to keep them apart for a while if you can to prevent them from mating. The act of mating will help raise their hormone levels, and the long nights will be more effective if they can't do it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:43 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

I am afraid separating isn't possible. They call like crazy if they don't see each other.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:49 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's OK for them to see each other. You just don't want them to be able to mate.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:36 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

we have some changes. instead of having them sleeping in the living room, I started taking birds to my bedroom at night. We make a lot of noise after their bedtime and now also in the morning as daughter's school starts early. Taking them into the bedroom really helps in many ways. I can finally keep kitchen window open for fresh air as nights got cooler and we don't have to use air conditioning that much.
Last night, though, I left them again in the living room as I had some work to do in my bedroom and nobody was getting up early next morning. Kitchen window was open but that resulted in a night fright (At least I think it was a sound from outside but who knows)...some of the birds who were involved (and had a bit of blood on their feathers) are quiet today more than usual. I don't see any obvious injuries though - just scratches. IS it possible that they have some internal injuries or they just take it easy after having a hard time at night?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:00 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If they're eating and pooping normally there probably isn't a major problem. It's possible that they got a little bruised during the night fright or lost enough blood to affect their energy level. But birds replace lost blood much quicker than humans do.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:07 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

thank you, she is already better.

Looks like at least one of my rabbits is having fleas. I will treat all of them with Revolution but in a meantime I am concerned if I could catch fleas while handling the rabbits. (and if birds could catch them from me...)
Where on people would fleas live? (that's a very cool question, I am ready to inspect myself :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't know much about fleas, but Wikipedia is indicating that there are specific flea species that live on specific animal species. So maybe rabbit fleas aren't a problem for humans? I really don't know. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

today my birds were in the outdoor area and I was inside in the kitchen preparing to feed my rabbits (who are in the back yard). There is a window in the kitchen that overlooks front porch, so I can see my birds at the short distance. I usually go in and out (to the front porch to my birds), to bring stuff for them or to go to the back to feed the rabbits. I am never too far away.
I wasn't looking at birds when I heard a sound of them bumping into walls like they were really scared. The sound was alarming so I opened the front door to let them in. They flew in in panic, and I saw what scared them. Two medium size birds who looked pretty much like predators. I am not sure if they came down to hunt for my birds (unlikely, there is a roof above the porch) or they wanted to grab a wild bird - I am not sure. usually there is a whole bunch of wild birds feeding on the ground under the tree on my front. I feed them leftover seeds. This morning I didn't throw out any seeds yet and I don't remember seeing a single wild bird yet so hopefully predators left empty.
All my birds are alive (I can at least say this) but they landed wherever they could and they are really quiet - sitting and not moving, some shaking. Only Cuddles went to eat millets 5 minutes after the incident.
This was really scary and could possibly kill some of my birds (if they panicked too much)! I am leaving Tuesday and Thursday mornings so they don't get to play outside. Today on Wednesday I hoped they would catch up on the missed sunshine but they didn't stay long enough.

Page 3 of 6 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next