Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Hyperactive bursts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:32 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Jaid has been having this issue for the past few days. Since I'm done with school I have a lot more time for them to be out. Jaid always screams to come out in the morning everyday because he wants to come out and play. I let them all out. They are out for about an hour to 2 hours because it's summer and the cat can't stay out too long as it gets hotter in the afternoon. When I put them back and let the cat in, Jaid goes in, but when I shut the cage door he paces incredibly fast, keeps offering his foot to me so he can step up and come back out, chews the bars trying to open the door himself, runs on the cage floor, climbs the bars up and down, side to side, beats his toys up back and climbs laps all around the cage once more. He does all of this in under 2 minutes. But what ticks me off is when he's out, he flies a few laps and then just parks himself on a door or wherever and just sits. He isn't burning his energy when he has the time to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Hyperactive bursts
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:52 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Silver will pace back and forth when he wants to come out. I always feel bad for him if it is a time when I just cannot let him out. He looks so desperate!

I also find that, when the two tiels come out they spend a lot of time just perched on something.

I think coming out of the cage doesn't necessarily mean wanting to exercise, but liking to be on a preferred perch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you put him back in the cage after he's finished doing his laps, while he be calmer after that?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:02 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Can't really do that because that would just be about 2 minutes of flight time. He screams and does his whiny "too much energy" call.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:48 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Maybe you can put fresh food and millet in his cage when he is out so that when he is done, he will have something new to eat. You can also not feed them while they are out so that they will be hungry when you put them back in the cage.

I'm not sure if this next advice will work. All I know is that it works for the sun conure. You can leave the room for a fee minutes and let him calm down. Jaid knows you can bring him out of his cage so he will keep screaming for you if he sees you. Try leaving the room for a few moments and see if he calms down.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]