Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Flight suit training blog
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:29 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I'm going to posts updates of how my bird and I are progressing with the harness to see our progress.

I ordered a flight suit from avainfashion.com. It arrived yesterday and i started conditioning him to wear it. I first hung the flight suit on the outside of his cage. He isn't scared of it one bit. I progressed with it being next to me at playtime. He actually was playing with it. I even gave him scratches with it. Im still conditioning him with it and i'll see in a couple of days if he's ready to have it on. I got the flight suit in orange. Its very bright compared to him but he will get much brighter when he gets older so its ok.

Wish me luck with it. :)

Post subject: Re: Flight suit training blog
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:08 pm 
Conure
Conure

I'm having a little trouble with the last step. He is very cool when he sees it but when I actually try to put it on, he goes crazy. It's nearly impossible to get it on. Does anyone have any tips how I can proceed. I sort of wish I can go back in time when he was a baby and harness train him. He has developed a strong fear of it. Any training tips?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Go back to some of the things you did earlier, doing things with the flight suit that don't scare him. Practice some of the motions that you'll need to put it on him, like handling his wings, without the flight suit at first and then holding it in your hand as if you're going to put it on him, but not actually trying to put it on him. Whenever he gets comfortable with one part of the process you can gently progress a little bit further.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:33 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Or just put it on him as gently and quickly as you can and then let him get used to it on. He won't like it, but like kids, they're adaptable and he will most likely get used to it eventually. This approach may be faster and therefore less stressful in the end.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Is he used to you touching his wings, as well as spreading them out for him? That would be a useful thing to get him used to when trying to train him for the flight suit. It will definetely make things easier, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:43 pm 
Conure
Conure

I'm going to give him a light clip tomorrow. His flight has been making him way too confident. Its going to be temporary. I'll let them grow back when he molts but when I had trouble taming my previous birds, clipping their wings made it much easier and we made much more progress. I didn't really let him chew on it too much. I didn't want to encourage it but I'll let him chew on it and ply. I'll also practice more on wing lifting. Thanks for the tips. :)

Jessiemuse, he does let me lift his wings and even scratch them. He just hates the harness but I'm sure things will be better after a light clip.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:14 am 
Conure
Conure

Super success!! I got it on him today after conditioning it to him and it was an amazing experience. At first he was really confused and thought of he rolled around it would come off but after he calmed down I fed him his favorite treats and he completely forgot about the flight suit. He got super fluffy and got his head scratches. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures since it was his first time and wanted to give him full supervision. It went great. I kept it very short. I'll practice a little more tomorrow. He did really good with it. I'm really proud of him. I also learned that it's best when you put it on them very slowly. You have to keep talking to them and tell them they look very pretty and such.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:32 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Cloudy skies wrote:
Or just put it on him as gently and quickly as you can and then let him get used to it on. He won't like it, but like kids, they're adaptable and he will most likely get used to it eventually. This approach may be faster and therefore less stressful in the end.

I wouldnt think thats a good idea I did that with Rocko and Loki and Rocko flys away when sees the harness and sometimes the flightsuit so its hard to get it on with him flying away and Loki just stands still.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:48 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
One suggestion that I see a lot for flight suit training is to put it on the bird and immediately take them outside (or some other super cool place that they don't normally get to go to) so they associate the suit with going places and having fun. Of course this assumes that the bird LIKES being outdoors and isn't overwhelmed and confused by it. Part of the training might be to take him outside sometimes in a small cage so he can get used to being outdoors and start liking it, without the additional strangeness of having a harness on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:18 am 
Conure
Conure

I don't want to take him outdoors with the suit yet because he still isn't comfortable with it yet. I take him outside in his small cage and give him a bath while I clean his grate and cage. He likes it but he still walks awkward with the harness on. I want him to get used to it before we explore more out of the house. Thanks though. :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next