Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: My Fear
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:17 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Tiko will reach in to step up for me but im afraid of being bitten and I know it would be very painful I would love to get over my fear and pick her up.

Post subject: Re: My Fear
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:29 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Don't use your fingers. Make a tight fist and let her step up to where your index finger is curled. Have treats in hand to distract her from biting you. If she does bite, blow into her nares (nose) or slightly bounce the hand that she is on. It will stop her from biting and focus on getting back her balance. Soon she will realize that biting you = perch getting off balance.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:40 am 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I have to tell you, I've been bitten by big birds before (except amazons... I'm scared of their bite, so I don't interact with them too much) and it's really just a lot of buildup. It's not really that bad, of course, I've been bitten by cats, dogs, birds, fish, lizards and snakes, so I could just be used to getting bit a lot, but I'll say this, little birds bites, hurt much, much more than big bird bites. All the little birds I've been bit by break skin and make me bleed. All the big bird bites just gave me a mark, no blood or puncture, and they healed. If anything, macaws and amazons are what you need to watch out for. I wouldn't be afraid.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:57 am 
Banned
Banned

CrazyConure wrote:
Don't use your fingers. Make a tight fist and let her step up to where your index finger is curled. Have treats in hand to distract her from biting you. If she does bite, blow into her nares (nose) or slightly bounce the hand that she is on. It will stop her from biting and focus on getting back her balance. Soon she will realize that biting you = perch getting off balance.

I was using my arm thats the problem I dont wanna get bitten and she has bit me by accident before and it was painful so imagine how painful it would be if she meant it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:58 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Don't use your arm at first. Teach her to step up onto a perch you're holding, before you use your hands.

My pionus, Dudley, also has some strong bites. He doesn't have the beak of an african grey, but it still hurts, and he's able to break skin. First time I've bitten, I reacted very poorly, trying to pull my hand away. Well, he actually held on, and ended up dangling from my finger. Since then, I've been trying to find ways to train him, to try and get rid of that bitey behavior.

However, I have to hand it to him. Since his one bite, I'm basically desensitized to smaller bird bites. A cockatiel bite feels like a pinch to me, as opposed to how it feels to my sister, who let out a loud "ow" when Lucy bit her. :lol:

Last edited by JessiMuse on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:59 am 
Banned
Banned

Bluekeet wrote:
I have to tell you, I've been bitten by big birds before (except amazons... I'm scared of their bite, so I don't interact with them too much) and it's really just a lot of buildup. It's not really that bad, of course, I've been bitten by cats, dogs, birds, fish, lizards and snakes, so I could just be used to getting bit a lot, but I'll say this, little birds bites, hurt much, much more than big bird bites. All the little birds I've been bit by break skin and make me bleed. All the big bird bites just gave me a mark, no blood or puncture, and they healed. If anything, macaws and amazons are what you need to watch out for. I wouldn't be afraid.

Little birds bites do hurt more but bigger birds give u a painful bite and the pain lasts longer.Rockos nibbles are sometimes painful.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:00 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I don't recommend using your arm. She can get a good grip at it and hurt you. Try using a perch at first. I'm thinking you also need to get used to her as she needs to get used to you. You'll be more comfortable as you progress with taming.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:01 pm 
Banned
Banned

JessiMuse wrote:
Don't use your arm at first. Teach her to step up onto a perch you're holding, before you use your hands.

My pionus, Dudley, also has some strong bites. He doesn't have the beak of an african grey, but it still hurts, and he's able to break skin. First time I've bitten, I reacted very poorly, trying to pull my hand away. Well, he actually held on, and ended up dangling from my finger. Since then, I've been trying to find ways to train him, to try and get rid of that bitey behavior.

However, I have to hand it to him. Since his one bite, I'm basically desensitized to smaller bird bites. A cockatiel bite feels like a pinch to me, as opposed to how it feels to my sister, who let out a loud "ow" when Lucy bit her. :lol:

Ill try a perch but she is scared of perches.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:04 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
My old budgie Mackenzie hated me and she would shred my hand to bloody bits before I could shake her off. I had several bleeding holes in my hand in under 30 seconds when she would attack me.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:11 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If a bird bites you and won't let go, pushing your hand away from yourself and toward the bird is a better way to make it let go than pulling your hand toward yourself and away from the bird, which is the natural reaction. Pushing outward puts the bird off balance more than pulling inward and you're also moving in the direction where it's easiest for something to slip out of the top beak. It's hard to keep a grip, so the bird usually lets go. Don't be violent about it of course.

Page 1 of 4 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next