Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Rio's Behaviour
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:39 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Im still working on teaching him to step up but sometimes he tries to bite when I move my finger towards him and when he does I push towards him his bites dont hurt much he dosent snap at me he holds on to my finger with his beak.He also goes on my shoulder and tries to bite if I get him down he does the same on my head and I scare him off with a towel.His previous owner got him Handreared so hes not scared of hands that much and hes not scared of my hands and he takes treats from me he loves watermelon he does step up sometimes.Am I right to take him off my shoulder and head? How can I stop this biting behaviour.

Post subject: Re: Rio's Behaviour
PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The bite is an indicator that he's not ready for this and you're pushing him too fast. He may not be afraid of hands but he doesn't know you well yet. Try to go more at his pace and don't ask for too much too soon. Feeding him some treats from your hand right before you ask for the step-up might make him feel more relaxed and willing. It's easier to establish a biting habit than it is to break it, so try not to provoke him into biting you. "Avoid the bite" is a bird-training mantra.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:48 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
The bite is an indicator that he's not ready for this and you're pushing him too fast. He may not be afraid of hands but he doesn't know you well yet. Try to go more at his pace and don't ask for too much too soon. Feeding him some treats from your hand right before you ask for the step-up might make him feel more relaxed and willing. It's easier to establish a biting habit than it is to break it, so try not to provoke him into biting you. "Avoid the bite" is a bird-training mantra.

Hes not biting much anymore I fed him watermelon and then said step up and he was and now hes stepping up without being rewarded hes still trying to bite when on my shoulder though.I brought him outside in his Travel cage to get a little bit of sun.Also the day I brought him home that was the first shower he ever got in his life because it was raining heavy and the woman told me thats his first shower I gave him another shower then when I got home because I didnt want dirty rain water on his feathers in case it made him sick.And that Vet I brought Rio too is very cheap other Vets you have to pay just to make an appoinment like I went just to see what they say about his beak but if I went to a different vet to get his beak checked it would cost like €70 but thats free so im happy with that and I will be able to get all my birds seen by him.There is only one Avian vet there and hes available on Tuesdays and Fridays.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:50 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Birds often feel safer on our shoulders and heads because it's up higher than where we tend to hold them when they're on our hand. So they're often reluctant to get down when we ask them to. You can use the same treat-feeding technique to make him feel more comfortable about getting off your shoulder or head, and give him another treat after he's down so he can see that it's worthwhile to cooperate with you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:21 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Birds often feel safer on our shoulders and heads because it's up higher than where we tend to hold them when they're on our hand. So they're often reluctant to get down when we ask them to. You can use the same treat-feeding technique to make him feel more comfortable about getting off your shoulder or head, and give him another treat after he's down so he can see that it's worthwhile to cooperate with you.

He came with me to an opening night for a secondary school my older sister is in and my little sister wants to go there so we were there Rio was on my shoulder I brought him in wearing the harness then took it off once we were in also his wings are clipped but safety.Its funny how if someone sees a small bird they assume its a budgie same thing happens to Rocko and happened to Rio today.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:27 pm 
Egg
Egg

Name: Rhonda
Gave happy chirps: 14 times
Got happy chirps: 1 time
Not sure if this was a normal behavior or not, but My last male was horribly I'll tempered when I first got him. He would eat me to pieces when I attempted to pick him up! With a bit of attention and working with him, he turned to the most loving bird you could ever imagine! I would say, "Rufus, you're gorgeous...gnome give me love" and he would walk to me and he would drop his head and proceed to rub it all under my chin. Sweet boy! HOWEVER....if my daughter was here, he would get on her shoulder, head, or even her foot or let when she was sitting on the sofa, and no one could get near him without getting attacked. He would even follow her, like if she went to her room, he would fly down the hallway to her room. Sometimes, even if she were not home, he would fly to her room and just sit upon a piece of her clothing. Lol. Rio may simply have become very fond of you and doesn't want the closeness to be taken away. Rio may know that your hand is going to take him a further distance from you, and he is not going without a fight.

(My daughter became Rufus' girlfriend in a sense. Lol)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:57 am 
Banned
Banned

sonomama wrote:
Not sure if this was a normal behavior or not, but My last male was horribly I'll tempered when I first got him. He would eat me to pieces when I attempted to pick him up! With a bit of attention and working with him, he turned to the most loving bird you could ever imagine! I would say, "Rufus, you're gorgeous...gnome give me love" and he would walk to me and he would drop his head and proceed to rub it all under my chin. Sweet boy! HOWEVER....if my daughter was here, he would get on her shoulder, head, or even her foot or let when she was sitting on the sofa, and no one could get near him without getting attacked. He would even follow her, like if she went to her room, he would fly down the hallway to her room. Sometimes, even if she were not home, he would fly to her room and just sit upon a piece of her clothing. Lol. Rio may simply have become very fond of you and doesn't want the closeness to be taken away. Rio may know that your hand is going to take him a further distance from you, and he is not going without a fight.

(My daughter became Rufus' girlfriend in a sense. Lol)

He knows step up now but not in the cage so I need to work on that other than that hes very sweet.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:45 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
The cage is often viewed as a nest to captive birds, so being inside it triggers their "defense mode", even when there are no eggs to guard. This can be triggered by hormones acting up, caused by long amounts of daylight.

There was a point when Lucy was the same way. She did fine while out of the cage, but she just didn't want to step up while inside the cage, as she was territorial. So I went through a process.

The first thing I started doing was covering up her cage at 7pm with a sheet, and uncover it at 7am. This gives her 12 hours of night time, which not only should get rid of any hormones, but give her more time to rest, as I tend to stay up late at night, which probably gave her trouble sleeping as well.

Then, I started getting her used to being pet while inside of the cage. If she knows that my hand is going to give her scritches, she will no longer see it as a threat to her "nest". This stopped her tendency to bite.
I would also give her treats by hand while in the cage, which also taught her that the hand isn't a threat. nutri-berries are Lucy's personal favorite, but since this is Rio we're talking about, I think watermelon would be a good choice for this (I remember you talking about how he likes watermelon).

Then I specifically did things that Lucy enjoyed, while she was out of the cage, as well as giving her a bit more treats outside, than inside. This made being out of the cage more enjoyable than being in the cage, and she began coming out on her own. If Rio already comes out on his own, you can skip this part (though it would still help).

After she would come out on her own, I transitioned from letting her come out of the cage herself, to letting her get halfway out. What I mean by that, is that I would let her get to the doorway, and then ask her to step up. The first few times were a little rough, as she still didn't want to step up, but she eventually got the idea that "in order to come out, I must step up here". Then as usual when teaching a bird to do something, I would reward her immediately after.

Eventually, you can get from stepping up stepping up at the entrance, to stepping up at wherever in the cage he might be.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:29 am 
Banned
Banned

JessiMuse wrote:
The cage is often viewed as a nest to captive birds, so being inside it triggers their "defense mode", even when there are no eggs to guard. This can be triggered by hormones acting up, caused by long amounts of daylight.

There was a point when Lucy was the same way. She did fine while out of the cage, but she just didn't want to step up while inside the cage, as she was territorial. So I went through a process.

The first thing I started doing was covering up her cage at 7pm with a sheet, and uncover it at 7am. This gives her 12 hours of night time, which not only should get rid of any hormones, but give her more time to rest, as I tend to stay up late at night, which probably gave her trouble sleeping as well.

Then, I started getting her used to being pet while inside of the cage. If she knows that my hand is going to give her scritches, she will no longer see it as a threat to her "nest". This stopped her tendency to bite.
I would also give her treats by hand while in the cage, which also taught her that the hand isn't a threat. nutri-berries are Lucy's personal favorite, but since this is Rio we're talking about, I think watermelon would be a good choice for this (I remember you talking about how he likes watermelon).

Then I specifically did things that Lucy enjoyed, while she was out of the cage, as well as giving her a bit more treats outside, than inside. This made being out of the cage more enjoyable than being in the cage, and she began coming out on her own. If Rio already comes out on his own, you can skip this part (though it would still help).

After she would come out on her own, I transitioned from letting her come out of the cage herself, to letting her get halfway out. What I mean by that, is that I would let her get to the doorway, and then ask her to step up. The first few times were a little rough, as she still didn't want to step up, but she eventually got the idea that "in order to come out, I must step up here". Then as usual when teaching a bird to do something, I would reward her immediately after.

Eventually, you can get from stepping up stepping up at the entrance, to stepping up at wherever in the cage he might be.

Rocko was territorial of his cage and wouldnt step up and now he does I can do anything with him inside the cage.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]