Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Missing Bird
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:57 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Oh yes. Lucy does that all the time, if she wants to come out of her cage. Though when she flies out of the room, she makes this call about three times, and then is silent until I find her. I have no idea why she does that. It's like she's thinking: "Please find me. But I want you to do is without my help"

Post subject: Re: The Missing Bird
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Birds have to make a tradeoff between alerting the rest of the flock to where they are and not alerting predators to the fact that they've been separated from the flock and are more vulnerable. How long the flock calling goes on varies from one bird to another, and probably varies with the situation too. Fledglings don't call at all, probably because they haven't learned their survival skills yet and are a lot more vulnerable to predators than an adult would be. Lucy's a bit older so she calls some, but it's possible that she might keep it up longer when she's older. My adult birds keep it up longer than that, probably for at least a minute. But if I wait too long to go looking for them they'll stop and then we're basically playing hide and seek while I try to figure out where the now-silent bird is. At least Lucy does it long enough to give you a vague idea of where she is. It's a lot more interesting trying to find the bird when they don't call at all.

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2