Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tiko-Step up
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:18 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
She only steps up when she is on the floor and she was on my shoulder too and my 5 year old cousin.She wont step up anywhere but the floor well if she flew and landed on the bar or somewhere else she would step up but no if shes on her cage or stand.

Post subject: Re: Tiko-Step up
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you want to improve your training skills, working with Tiko would be a good experience. You'd have to watch her body language and go slow enough that you don't startle her into having an accident. And you'd also have to watch her body language and interact with her in a way that gets the results you want without you getting bitten.

It would definitely be a challenge, but this is the type of skill that all the professional-quality trainers have. I talked to a macaw trainer once who said she preferred working with mean nasty birds, because they always ended up being the best performers. She skillfully used positive reinforcement to transform that aggressive energy into behavior that was fun for the bird and for everyone watching it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:45 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
tielfan wrote:
If you want to improve your training skills, working with Tiko would be a good experience. You'd have to watch her body language and go slow enough that you don't startle her into having an accident. And you'd also have to watch her body language and interact with her in a way that gets the results you want without you getting bitten.

It would definitely be a challenge, but this is the type of skill that all the professional-quality trainers have. I talked to a macaw trainer once who said she preferred working with mean nasty birds, because they always ended up being the best performers. She skillfully used positive reinforcement to transform that aggressive energy into behavior that was fun for the bird and for everyone watching it.

I made two threads :homer: i am working with her but the problem is how can I get her off the cage without making her fly off the cage and end up being scared.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Do you know how to use positive reinforcement? You reward her for doing something that's a small step in the right direction (usually with food, but some birds prefer something else). Since she's afraid of the perch, you could start off by showing it to her from a long way off and reward her for not freaking out. Then move a little closer with the perch and reward her again. At some point you might get close enough for her to start acting uncomfortable but not actually flying away. So you stop and keep showing her the perch at that distance until she stops acting nervous. Then you can move a little closer again. It might or might not take a long time for her to completely stop being afraid of the perch. But if you work with her gently and don't scare her into flying away, she'll eventually lose her fear of the perch.

Then you can start working on getting her to step up on it. The first step might be to work on having her let you touch her foot with the perch. Every bird is different so it's possible that some other approach would work better with her. You'd to have wait until the time comes and then use your own judgement about what would work best with this particular bird.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]