Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Taming a scared plum headed parakeet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:30 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
So first I started off with step up from a perch and he's doing that ok I started this today and he's really scared of my hand.I wanna go back a step and get him to eat from my hand so then I know he trusts me and I can move on to step up so far since I got him in Sunday he hasn't eaten yet he was eating millet that I hanged from the cage.So how can I get him to trust me and eat from my hand should I start by just leaving my hand in the cage a few minutes each day until he gets used to it.I remember with Rocko I put a trail of seeds on the floor and he followed them to my hand of course he was a little scared and backing away and coming back again.Also Mango (Plum headed Parakeet) is fully flighted and I do not intend on clipping his wings.
:irnbirdorable:

Post subject: Re: Taming a scared plum headed parakeet
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:18 pm 
Banned
Banned

He now eats,sleeps and preens with me near him

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Going back a step is always helpful when the bird isn't ready for the next step yet. It took him several days just to start eating, so he's obviously very shy and nervous. So go slow with him. He'll get comfortable at his own speed, and you'll probably establish trust faster if you don't pressure him to do things he isn't ready for. If he's not ready to eat from your hand, you can drop a treat in his food dish from time to time, making sure that he sees you do it. This will teach him that good things happen when you come around! If he's too shy to eat it with you there, you can drop the treat and walk away, and come back later to do it again. If he's less shy, you can wait for him to eat it then drop in another one.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:14 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Going back a step is always helpful when the bird isn't ready for the next step yet. It took him several days just to start eating, so he's obviously very shy and nervous. So go slow with him. He'll get comfortable at his own speed, and you'll probably establish trust faster if you don't pressure him to do things he isn't ready for. If he's not ready to eat from your hand, you can drop a treat in his food dish from time to time, making sure that he sees you do it. This will teach him that good things happen when you come around! If he's too shy to eat it with you there, you can drop the treat and walk away, and come back later to do it again. If he's less shy, you can wait for him to eat it then drop in another one.

He reminds me of Rocko he was shy and nervous too I remember making a trail of seed leading to me and he was eating the seed until he got to me and was getting nervous and moving back until he finally came up to me.I wonder how hard harness training must be for a bird that eats with their feet he would probably hold the harness with his feet lol.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]