Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fear of Hands
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:04 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Ok so still Mango does not take food from my hand and runs if my hand comes anywhere near him and I know I said I wouldn't but yesterday I decided to give him a small clip 4 feathers on each side he can still fly (Glide) but just runs if my hand comes near him and I have him on the Flightsuit now and im thinking should I continue using the Flightsuit so he's close to me all the time? And close to my hands.Also there is a little bit of skin taken off his foot it could have been Rio or me when he was at the door and I closed it a little and opened it after I heard him screech its not bothering him and dosent look bad.

Post subject: Re: Fear of Hands
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Don't force him to stay close to you if he doesn't want to. Instead, work on making him want to be close to you. You can help improve his attitude by dropping treats into the cage while he's in there (making sure that he sees you do it), and work up to feeding him treats through the bars. Eventually you can work on feeding him treats without bars between you. I don't know what his past history was like, but birds in pet shops are often teased by customer. So he might have learned to dislike hands moving in his direction, and will need to learn that your hands are OK. It will take time to win his trust but that's OK, you have lots of time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:36 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Don't force him to stay close to you if he doesn't want to. Instead, work on making him want to be close to you. You can help improve his attitude by dropping treats into the cage while he's in there (making sure that he sees you do it), and work up to feeding him treats through the bars. Eventually you can work on feeding him treats without bars between you. I don't know what his past history was like, but birds in pet shops are often teased by customer. So he might have learned to dislike hands moving in his direction, and will need to learn that your hands are OK. It will take time to win his trust but that's OK, you have lots of time.

He was housed in a big aviary so hands couldn't get near him and he wasn't from a pet store I got him from the Bird jungle they breed their birds themselves so they have the parents but I don't think Mango's parents are there.I always do drop treats in the cage he doesn't care though lol and if I try feed him treats through the bars he just walks away to a other side of the cage or jumps all the way down to the bottom of the cage.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:40 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just keep working with him in a non-threatening way and he'll eventually get over it. He'll be more enthusiastic about the treats if you can find something that he REALLY loves, and make it a treat that he only gets as a gift from you (not normally in the cage or anywhere else that he hangs out).

Some birds aren't very food motivated. Does he like looking in a mirror? If so, you can show him a mirror that you're holding in your hand, and not give him access to mirrors at other times.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:02 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
Just keep working with him in a non-threatening way and he'll eventually get over it. He'll be more enthusiastic about the treats if you can find something that he REALLY loves, and make it a treat that he only gets as a gift from you (not normally in the cage or anywhere else that he hangs out).

Some birds aren't very food motivated. Does he like looking in a mirror? If so, you can show him a mirror that you're holding in your hand, and not give him access to mirrors at other times.

Idk about mirrors he was following his reflection yesterday in my mams mirror.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he likes looking at his reflection, then using mirrors is a good way to work with him. When I first got Dweezil, I used mirrors and millet spray to make him stay with me when he was out of the cage. Without those things he would go back to the cage instead of staying with me.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:42 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
If he likes looking at his reflection, then using mirrors is a good way to work with him. When I first got Dweezil, I used mirrors and millet spray to make him stay with me when he was out of the cage. Without those things he would go back to the cage instead of staying with me.

Rocko was way easier than Mango to tame and it took about 5 months to fully tame Rocko and before he learned to step up he let me pet his head and I made a trail of seed leading to me and he followed it but of course he was a little nervous and stepping back.I think Aggressive birds are easier to tame than scared birds lol because if you try to get them to step up they wont run away they will step up and then learn it easier lol.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]