Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Such thing as "too curious?"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:17 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Since I got Lucy, she's been getting quite brave, when it comes to discovering new things. It's gotten to the point where she's not even afraid when I put something new in the cage. Hang a toy, and the first thing she does is go play with it. Didn't think that was really possible, as I thought the fear of new things was instinctual among birds.

There are still some things that scare her. For example: my boyfriend got me these new headphones, that have cat ears on them that double as outward speakers. When I first put them on with Lucy next to me, she flew to the other side of the room. However, it only took a few days before she got used to them, but she's still wary.

The other day, I was washing my dog's water dish, and had her on my shoulder. She climbed down to my arm and went all the way to my hand. She saw the bubbles from the soap, and I guess she thought they were solid enough to stand on, so she literally walked into the soapy water. Freaked her out enough to fly away, but I had to stick her in some fresh water to get the soap off. Now the feathers on her belly are looking pretty ragged. :lol: I think they might for a while.

Anyone else have a bird that gets into trouble easily? Any that are just a little too curious, that they're bound to get themselves into some kind of trouble?

Post subject: Re: Such thing as "too curious?"
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:07 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Yes, yes.
They are a lot like human toddlers. Into everything and chewing everything up.
I had my tiels clipped again two weeks ago, and it has been so much more manageable since I had that done. I do love to see them fly, and for them to have the pleasure of flying. But, I just can't keep up with them if they are fully flighted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:24 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Dianne wrote:
Yes, yes.
They are a lot like human toddlers. Into everything and chewing everything up.
I had my tiels clipped again two weeks ago, and it has been so much more manageable since I had that done. I do love to see them fly, and for them to have the pleasure of flying. But, I just can't keep up with them if they are fully flighted.

One of the reasons why people clip is because they are lazy or dont want to have to deal with a flighted bird and thats a bad reason to clip your birds wings just because its more manageable.Also clipping can effect your birds relationship with you in a negative way.It dosent always happen but it does with some birds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Manageable birds usually get to come out of the cage to play more often than birds who are difficult to handle. IMO that's an excellent reason to clip a bird's wings. Being fully flighted doesn't do a bird any good if they're locked up in a cage most of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:27 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Unless if that bird is Lucy. She is somewhat unmanagable, being clipped or flighted. :lol: Though with her, there is not much of a difference. She manages to take some very impressive distances, even while being clipped. She just can't get a very good height.

I'm hoping to get something like a "parrot tree" for her, that I can hang toys on. That way, she can be occupied without trying to make everything harder for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:46 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Thank you, Carolyn.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When it comes to wing clipping, there isn't a "one size fits all" answer IMO. There are advantages and disadvantages to both wing clipping and to leaving a bird full flighted, so it's best to make the decision based on what works best for you and your bird in your individual situation. Sometimes clipping is best and sometimes full flighted is best.

I keep my birds lightly clipped - they can still fly, but not as fast as a full flighted bird. My favorite bird died several years ago because I listened to the advice of people talking about the wonderfulness of having full flighted birds. Not long after he became full flighted, he flew into a window. He wasn't panicked and he knew perfectly well that the window was there, but for some reason he decided to try to fly through it. If he'd been going slower he probably would have survived.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:33 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I have a small house. My birds are in the living room. Right there is a front door. There is no foyer or such--the door opens directly onto the outside. I feel better knowing that, should they suddenly decide to fly to my shoulder when I am taking the trash out, I will be able to catch them.

Then, there is the destruction, then having to shoo them away from somewhere they are getting into trouble, and having them go back, again and again. I don't think that interaction makes for a positive relationship with them.

I would like them to have a light clip. The last time I had them clipped I stressed that I only wanted a light clip. When I got them home, I found it wasn't enough. This time, I asked him to clip what he thought was needed. He clipped more than I would have liked. Next time, I think I will know what is appropriate for them.

I would love for them to be fully flighted. I am certainly not a lazy person. However, I am older and have some health issues. What I can manage is within that context. I really do feel that I provide them with the best life I that I can manage. I love them very much.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You have obviously made a thoughtful choice based on what is best for your birds, and are doing what you can to give them the best combination of safety and freedom that you can manage. Good for you!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:15 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
I agree that is a good reason to clip your birds wings. Its notvgoing to hurt your relationship with them either. I think you did the right thing.

The breeder asked me if I wanted zorros wings clipped, i said yes. Because i think when you first get a bird it helps them bond to you if they have to reply on you to get up off the floor n go places.

Tho that seem to effect zorro he can still go like 15ft. He will leap off his gym after people if they go to far for his liking. Or if you leave him in one room in go into another he will follow you.Image

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next