Post subject: Re: Such thing as "too curious?"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:19 am 
Previous owner
Previous owner

Name: Melissa
Gave happy chirps: 142 times
Got happy chirps: 69 times
JessiMuse wrote:
Since I got Lucy, she's been getting quite brave, when it comes to discovering new things. It's gotten to the point where she's not even afraid when I put something new in the cage. Hang a toy, and the first thing she does is go play with it. Didn't think that was really possible, as I thought the fear of new things was instinctual among birds.

There are still some things that scare her. For example: my boyfriend got me these new headphones, that have cat ears on them that double as outward speakers. When I first put them on with Lucy next to me, she flew to the other side of the room. However, it only took a few days before she got used to them, but she's still wary.

The other day, I was washing my dog's water dish, and had her on my shoulder. She climbed down to my arm and went all the way to my hand. She saw the bubbles from the soap, and I guess she thought they were solid enough to stand on, so she literally walked into the soapy water. Freaked her out enough to fly away, but I had to stick her in some fresh water to get the soap off. Now the feathers on her belly are looking pretty ragged. :lol: I think they might for a while.

Anyone else have a bird that gets into trouble easily? Any that are just a little too curious, that they're bound to get themselves into some kind of trouble?

As for scared thing caiques arnt afraid of much, so yea zorro will try n get into anything he thinks is interesting. Last night we put up our new fake tree n zorro wasent sure about it so he tasted it. Took him whole 2 mins to try n climb it.

Post subject: Re: Such thing as "too curious?"
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:10 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Well, making sure a bird knows how to fly is important too. It doesn't come naturally, and they have to learn it when they leave the nest. I hope the breeder at least allowed that to happen before you got him, because that could cause some problems. For example: they wouldn't know how to land safely, if they were to fall off of something, or get startled. They might flail around, and learn that flapping their wings will make them land safely, but the risk of getting hurt is still there.

Of course, it is possible to teach them later, though that's a little more of a challenge.

Lucy's actually afraid of our artificial christmas tree. When I tried first putting her on it, she flew all the way to the top of Dudley's cage (the stand on top of it), which is a lot of work for Lucy, considering her clipped wings. She can fly pretty high if she wants to, with clipped wings. I got her to play with a little branch that fell off of it (we have a very old tree), and I got her to play with all the decorations before putting them on. She especially liked the bells. :)

Page 2 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2