It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:29 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: I want Mango tamed and Now!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:39 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Just joking lol :rofl: :rotflmao100: :roffle: but seriously when will he at least eat millet or anything from me once thats done I can easily teach step up.Sometimes I feel terrible for him watching sit there all alone while the Cockatiels are hanging out of me and he just sits and watches.I bet he will be talking before he is even tame lol he definitely shows interest when im talking.

Post subject: Re: I want Mango tamed and Now!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Training happens at the bird's pace not yours lol. Sometimes it's helpful to offer a bird millet spray, but in a very casual way so he doesn't feel like you're pressuring him to do something. Hold it out for a few seconds then take it away so he learns that it's a limited time offer, and it's possible that eventually he'll decide to take advantage of it.

This worked with some of my very shy birds like Azazel. If I held the millet out for too long or looked at him too directly he would get scared and run away, but it worked better when I made it less intense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:16 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
Like Carolyn said, just hold something like millet in front of him, or any of his favorite foods. Hold it out for a few seconds, and then stop. Do it at a different time of day, rinse, repeat. That way. He won't feel like he's being forced to do something.

Another thing you can do is have him on the same perch as the tiels, and let the tiels eat off the millet spray. Then maybe he'll want to join in. That's what I did with Joey and Lucy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:23 pm 
Banned
Banned

JessiMuse wrote:
Like Carolyn said, just hold something like millet in front of him, or any of his favorite foods. Hold it out for a few seconds, and then stop. Do it at a different time of day, rinse, repeat. That way. He won't feel like he's being forced to do something.

Another thing you can do is have him on the same perch as the tiels, and let the tiels eat off the millet spray. Then maybe he'll want to join in. That's what I did with Joey and Lucy.

Ill try that but I cant try the tiel thing lol he will just fly away even if I wanted Rocko to step up if my hand is near him he flys.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:33 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Do you have a long enough perch stand for him to feel safe at one end while your hand and your tiels are on the other end? You don't need him right next to each other. He can just sit on the very end, and come closer when he feels comfortable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:35 pm 
Banned
Banned

JessiMuse wrote:
Do you have a long enough perch stand for him to feel safe at one end while your hand and your tiels are on the other end? You don't need him right next to each other. He can just sit on the very end, and come closer when he feels comfortable

Yeah I have a training stand but he would still fly if hes on the other end.I brought him into a small room today and put him on the stand and I didn't even reach near him and he kept flying away.He steps up on my arm only.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:52 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You can always gently and patiently keep working with him until he gets tired of flying away. Give him a little bit of time to settle down in the place where he lands before you go after him again so he doesn't feel like he's being pursued. And stay as relaxed as you can so that he will feel relaxed too.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:01 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

What Carolyn mentions is what I like to call the "dove method", as it's mentioned on multiple guides of how to get a dove used to human contact. Basically put him in a small room, and let him fly away until he's too tired to fly, then finally sits on your hand. I used that, mixed with some other methods when I first got Lucy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:44 pm 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
You can always gently and patiently keep working with him until he gets tired of flying away. Give him a little bit of time to settle down in the place where he lands before you go after him again so he doesn't feel like he's being pursued. And stay as relaxed as you can so that he will feel relaxed too.

Isn't that Negative? Will he ever get tired lol

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:45 pm 
Banned
Banned

JessiMuse wrote:
What Carolyn mentions is what I like to call the "dove method", as it's mentioned on multiple guides of how to get a dove used to human contact. Basically put him in a small room, and let him fly away until he's too tired to fly, then finally sits on your hand. I used that, mixed with some other methods when I first got Lucy.

But even if he is too tired to fly he can still run lol.

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next