Post subject: Re: Training with Mango:Continuing Thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:10 am 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
CrazyConure wrote:
Good job at getting high grades! It's ok if training doesn't go well one day. Just try again and go a bit slower.

Ill try again later he went to sleep as soon as he got back in his back so he must just be very tired and that would explain the growling lol he is like a baby dinosaur.Sometimes I think is it possible dinosaurs came back and evolved to be parrots maybe even other birds too.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:59 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I think the reason birds are so nervous about hands is because hands move around so much - they're the fastest and most unpredictable part of our body. It might be helpful to keep asking him to step up on your arm for now, and gradually work on getting him closer to the hand. It might also help to close your fingers into a fist, to make the hand look smaller and steadier until he gets used to it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:05 am 
Banned
Banned

tielfan wrote:
I think the reason birds are so nervous about hands is because hands move around so much - they're the fastest and most unpredictable part of our body. It might be helpful to keep asking him to step up on your arm for now, and gradually work on getting him closer to the hand. It might also help to close your fingers into a fist, to make the hand look smaller and steadier until he gets used to it.

I do close my hand.He already stands beside my hand when on my arm sometimes and I never make any fast movements.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:33 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
It could also be how he was treated. He was in a pet store, so it's possible that he had minimal experience with hands outside of being grabbed and manhandled a few times. It's gonna take him a while of getting used to hands.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:57 am 
Banned
Banned

JessiMuse wrote:
It could also be how he was treated. He was in a pet store, so it's possible that he had minimal experience with hands outside of being grabbed and manhandled a few times. It's gonna take him a while of getting used to hands.

He isn't from a pet store.I got him in the Bird jungle its more of a place where they breed their own birds some they hand rear but they dont hand rear aviary birds.Mango was in a large aviary with some Cockatiels and then was put into a regular cage until I came to pick him up.And when I arrived he opened the cage and held his head and body and put him into my carrier.We all know he is too cute and we would all love to just grab him and smush him and give him tickles on his little tummy lol. :raspberry:

Page 2 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2