Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Mango/New Training Method
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:16 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
This training method could work for everybody and it seems like it will work very well.It would be great if this thread could be a sticky as it would probably help a lot of people.I wont take any credit for this lol a Woman on Avian Avenue gave me similar advice and I added the steps.

I have a way to get Mango used to hands and not be afraid.You can try this with your birds if they are not yet tame.If your bird takes treats from you then you don't need to leave the room as a reward you can just use treats when your bird calms down.

Items needed:Clicker,A bird,Patience

Step 1: Show the bird that good things come when they hear the click this could be leaving the room.

Step 2:Find out how far you can go into your birds cage until it goes mad.

Step 3:Put your hand near the cage and wait for the bird to calm down and click and leave the room.Do this for about 5-10 minutes each day until you get closer and closer to the bird that he is no longer scared of your hands

Post subject: Re: Mango/New Training Method
PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:31 pm 
Banned
Banned

Im gonna try this Method now let you all know how it goes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:35 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
That's a basic desensitization method that's been used in clicker training for years. Although they usually recommend that you stop at the point where the bird starts looking nervous, instead of pushing it to the point that it goes mad. It's a good method for birds that are too wild for food rewards. Basically you reward them for not freaking out by removing your obnoxious presence lol. You'll gradually be able to get closer and closer before you have to stop, and eventually the bird will stop being worried about your presence at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:55 pm 
Banned
Banned

Yeah I stop where he starts getting nervous and my hand isn't even in the cage yet lol.In time he will be my sweet little tame boy.My Aunts parrotlet Wasabi still isn't tame either very skittish but she can hold him in her hand and he will give a little nibble if he wants to be let go.Only he steps up sometimes.But I told her this method might work for her too.Also I think Cracker is starting to like me she flew on my shoulder last week and I ran with her on my shoulder lol big mistake and she flew off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:33 pm 
Banned
Banned

My Aunt just told me she is selling Wasabi this is what she said as to her reason why.
No space.Its getting smaller here and cant let him out because he gets lost and its not fair on him because he likes to get out.

Ill miss the little cutie.She is right though.I told her she should find someone who has parrotlets so he has company.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]