Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: They don't want to behave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:15 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
The birds have been driving me crazy. I can't leave them on the playstand without Alex trying to fly to me, and whenever Alex flies, Lucy feels like she has to fly to, and she always chooses the high up places that make it really hard for her to get down from. It gets to the point where I can't sit down for two seconds without getting up to get them, again and again. Then I cave in and put them back in their cage.

Then while they're in their cage, they scream forever! I feel like I just can't win in this situation...

My mom keeps saying that we should clip their wings, but I really don't want to. The dog is becoming more intent on catching Alex and is starting to not listen.

Anyone else have moments where your birds want to make you tear your hair out?

Post subject: Re: They don't want to behave
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:36 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Erik
Gave happy chirps: 113 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
There's this thing Coco does that drives me and my entire family insane. He doesn't sing during the entire day, but as soon as the blinds are on the cage and its bedtime for all of us, he makes the loudest singing noises you will ever hear. And he takes about an hour to be quiet again. UGH! Makes me insane!!!!

BTW, I think you should slightly clip your birds, just so they can't go too far and keep doing that. You don't have to leave them flightless, but just trim their feathers slightly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:04 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
I always say this to people I don't think clipping is the right solution many people go through problems like this with their flighted birds even I had problems like last week and I got through it.There are ways to stop them doing that without clipping like maybe shoo them off when they fly on you or put them in the cage for 5 minutes until they learn not to fly on you.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:07 pm 
Banned
Banned

Also try to ignore the screaming and reward them with attention for being quiet.Think of it like a game if you decide to clip it means you failed they win and you lost so you need to beat them at this game and avoid the scissors lol.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:03 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
I do try to ignore the screaming, but then they end up screaming ALL DAY. And if they ever do get quiet by some miracle, they'll start as soon as I stand up. If I were to ignore their screaming, they would be in the cage forever, because they are STUBBORN.

It's not like they go far in the first place. Heck if anything, Alex will fly to me. Lucy just decides to choose the highest places to land on.

I thought that maybe they would be fine in a quiet room, so I took the playstand into my bedroom, and let them hang out there. Nope. Alex still decided to fly to me, and Lucy likes to fly to my picture frames. Somehow, she even manages to hang on my posters. They would do it as soon as I sit down on my bed to do my homework too, so I would have to get up and get them. At some point, I just decided to sit on the floor next to them. Alex STILL wanted to be on me, but at least Lucy stayed on the playstand.

At one point though, something freaked them out, so they both flew. Alex went to the dresser and Lucy again to her favorite picture frame. I decided to just see how long it would take. They were both screaming at me to get them, but I just continued on my laptop. Alex was the first to fly to me. Lucy eventually flew to the thing holding the curtains up, which also doubles as a tiny shelf for certain decorations. I decided to leave her up there... Until I heard the sound of her chewing on something.

They finally calmed down after that.

Alex still needs practice, and Lucy's wings are still growing back from the last clip (she's a slow molter). Neither one of them are ready for a wing trim right now. I'm also planning on training them indoor flight recall, so it would kinda defeat the purpose, if I were to clip them at all.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:08 pm 
Banned
Banned

Teaching them flight recall is a great solution and since Alex already flys to you he will learn it quick.They are young too so maybe they still act a little babyish like Rocko never really asks for scratches anymore its like he's grown out of it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:36 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Here's a simple little trick that helps a lot with birds who like to land in high places. Go to Home Depot and find the dowel sticks (they're about 3 feet long). Buy one that's 5/8" in diameter - that's the standard width for a cockatiel perch. It'll cost about two dollars. Now you've got a step-up stick that extends your reach by three feet. I have several of these scattered throughout the house in places where the birds like to land. When a bird lands somewhere high, I pick up the nearest dowel stick and ask them to step up on it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]