It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Flights Growing Back
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:23 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
It's been five months since I had the tiels clipped. A few days ago I noticed Silver had some flights coming back in. Then, maybe two days later, they are: flying out to the dining room to the top of the tallest bookcase.

It's interesting that, although for five months they haven't been able to go there, but as soon as they are back to flying, they make a beeline to that place. I really think they have decided that it would be a wonderful place for a nest. If one of them gets there, s/he calls to the other until s/he comes. It's like s/he is saying "Hey, come over here! I've found this great spot for our nest."

I told myself I was going to do clicker training while they were unflighted, so maybe I could still control the situation even if they can fly. But, I didn't, and now I have the consequence: having to take them in for another clipping. I wish it were not so, but it is.

Another thing that is going on is much more frequent masturbation on the part of Emma. Sometimes, it seems it is just constant. I think that she just can't believe that Silver doesn't know what to do. All he will do is get close to her and whistle to her.

Post subject: Re: Flights Growing Back
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:46 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
The reason Silver grew them back quickly was because you clipped him when he was near his next molt. I'm still waiting for Rio to grew back his wings and he is in the middle of his molt. It's your decision if you want to clip them again or not. Maybe Emma isn't comfortable with Silver mating with her yet? Try giving her a bowl of dummy eggs and let them sit on it for a couple of weeks. Maybe that will help?

Remember Stephanie's Beaker? Well he masturbated on his favorite perch and when she put it in a different location he stopped. Maybe you can try that? Cockatiels are opportunistic breeders so I'm not surprised yours are so hormonal. As long as she isn't laying too many eggs, I don't see why you can't let her explore her sexual side? Cockatiels like to mate just like humanes do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Spring is in the air and the cockatiels want to make babies lol. They like high places anyway, and if it looks like a good spot for a nest they like it even better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:46 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Crazy Conure

Thank you for your comments. I am interested in your point of view, as I think you have lots of experience with cockatiels.

How many times a year do cockaties usually molt?

Emma has layed eggs three times since I had her.

I think she wants Silver to mate with her. Either he doesn't know what to do, or, he's just not into her in that way.

I was actually thinkiing today it might be interesting to give them a nest box, but allow only or two of the eggs to hatch. I guess that's like you are saying about letting them explore their sexual side. I want them to have as full a life as possible. I am mindful of the fact that these are not domesticated animals. They are captive wild birds. I would like them to experience as much of life as they can.

Since Emma is 2-1/2, if there is going to be a time, should this be it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:08 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
To answer your questions in order. Birds can have around 2-3 molts a year. They can have 2-3 big ones (where they lose a lot of feathers) or they can have them more frequently but only lose a couple of feathers. Having three clutches since you first had her, to now is very well. Breeding cockatiels should have max 2 clutches a year for their health sake. It's not common that they start a third clutch as they are usually done after their second but there has been cases of a third clutch which isn't good for their calcium levels in their body. Emma is definitely not on the risky side of chronic egg layers.

Since Emma is healthy and at an appropriate age (18 months for females, and 14 months for males.) This choice should be completely up to you. The only thing that you need to think about before you breed is if Silver and Emma are truly bonded or not. When I mean sexual side, I meant mating and laying eggs. Breeding is like getting a new bird, it should only happen if you want it to happen. Of course there are certaint exceptions (for example sick or very old birds.) But more or less, this choice should be because you eel like you want to. Birds can have healthy and happy lives even without raising any chicks. I mostly meant by letting her mate because just like humanes, it feels pleasurable.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

IMO it would be best to let Silver figure out what he's supposed to do before you give them a nestbox. Otherwise Emma will just lay infertile eggs again. If you can't stop her from laying infertile eggs and she's willing to let Silver help take care of them, it might help him get a better idea of what his role is. But I wouldn't actually encourage her to lay infertile eggs.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:03 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
Why does everyone get hormonal birds but me lol :rotflmao100:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because you're the only one who actually wants to have hormonal birds lol.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:19 pm 
Banned
Banned

Name: Brandon
Gave happy chirps: 28 times
Got happy chirps: 32 times
tielfan wrote:
Because you're the only one who actually wants to have hormonal birds lol.

I don't want hormonal birds lol its just funny though because hormonal birds have to go to bed earlier and sometimes mine are up late.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:01 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I took the tiels in this morning for the wing clip. It wore them out, poor things. They spent half the afternoon sleeping and half preening, in order to get their feathers back where they SHOULD be after that man handled them.

However, there was no sulking in the cage or avoiding me. Even though they hated the whole thing, I think the fact that we've been through it before and everyone survived led to a less negative reaction afterwards. In fact, Silver spent a lot of the afternoon sleeping on my shoulder.

The vet did clip slightly less than last time.

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next