It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:07 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Silver is amazing!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I think I said this before, and there was some skepticism. However, I think it is clear that Silver likes his head scratches when he is sitting on my forefinger and I am scratching his neck and head with my thumb.

If he is anywhere else and I try to scratch him, he either won't let me at all, or jerks away after a second or two. But, if he's on my forefinger, I can scratch him with my thumb just about as long as I can.

Oh, another thing: I play a game with Silver when he is on my finger: I move my hand higher, in several movements interspersed with a pause. Then, I lower my hand quickly. While I do this, I say, "Doo, doo, doo, wheeee!" (The wheeeee is while he is coming down)

Now, I notice that after I do this with him, he will repeat, "Doo, doo, doo, doo."

He is so sweet and affectionate. At the same time, he likes to spend lots of time with the other birds.

I can't imagine having a better bird. I remember that I really loved the budgie I had while I was growing up (Piper). But, the details are kind of fuzzy, except that he learned to repeat lots of words. When I am with Silver, I sometimes think that this is what it must have been like with Piper.

I remember how very much I wanted Piper and lobbying for a budgie for a really long time. I got him for Christmas. He was in the cage and wrapped up in blue tissue paper under the Christmas tree. When I felt the bars under the tissue paper, I remember saying, "Oh, Mommy!" It's a memory from a troubled childhood in which I can feel how much I loved my mother at that moment.

Post subject: Re: Silver is amazing!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:53 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
That is so sweet! None of my birds I owned talked. He sounds like such a fun bird. I want to play that game with him.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:12 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
Oh, thank you. He doesn't really say words, like pretty bird, which I say to him a lot. But, I think he likes the combination of rhythm and a simple sound. He can also whistle a couple of tunes, but doesn't do it often. Mostly, when my brother is around. He can whistle, and I can't. I have tried. Sigh.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:53 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
I assume that was a different Piper than the one on your profile picture? Poor thing was wrapped in the cage under the tree? what a precious memories!

I am glad that Silver gives you so much joy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:44 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I forgot to mention earlier. I tried playing the "do do do wheee" game with Rio. He didn't like it. I went higher with each "do"'and came down with "wheee". Is that what you did?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]