Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Phone call jealousy!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:43 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Dee
Gave happy chirps: 45 times
Got happy chirps: 20 times
I could have screamed yesterday. I was fuming! As much as my birds are everything to me, my absolute world, they are also complete and utter d***s at the best of times. I can usually tolerate bad behaviours like screaming (we soundproofed the bird room because one of my Alexandrines has the loudest scream I've known a bird to have and I've had a cockatoo :yikes: ) and to be honest I can ignore most bites too, but yesterday I wanted to cry

Firstly, I was hanging out with Skye sitting on me. I took a chair with me to where her cage is just so I wouldn't be bringing her into contact with the other birds. She had stepped up pretty well and didn't show any signs of defensiveness or stress. She sat on the arm of the chair while I was reading my book and it was fine. My phone rings. It's Jack (fiance) and he's used to bird noises when I'm on the phone if I'm hanging out with the others so I didn't think anything of it. Plus she's new and didn't seem like she'd be remotely bothered about what I was doing. I had my phone on loudspeaker fairly close to my face. Skye starts screaming every time I try and reply. I was laughing because I didn't expect this from her being a newbie. Next thing I know she has actively gone out of her way to bite my hand. I managed to move my hand out of the way but she caught me on the wrist. I didn't show any emotion or anything that would make her think oo I like this game! It started to bleed and I just stood there explaining calmly on the phone to Jack that I had to go because the bird had punctured me quite bad (for a small bird it certainly is impressive!)

Fast forward about an hour. I've washed my hands and cleaned the wound. I go into my bird room and I get the 3 Alexandrines out. Holly was sitting on the perch from her cage door (she doesn't step up or want to hang out on you but she likes to observe everything and talks up a storm), George was on my right shoulder and Koda was on my left. Phone goes again. Holly starts screaming at the top of her lungs, George starts saying HELLO HELLO HELLO and honks between each word and Koda sits nice and quietly. I wouldn't have normally taken the call but it was work asking me to do a job that evening and as I wasn't feeling very good I had to say no. I had to explain to my colleague on the phone that I couldn't hear a word she was saying because I had 3 parrots within 1m of me that were screaming blue murder. I felt sorry for her it must have sounded horrendous! Before I could even put the phone down, Koda FLIES to my hand and takes a chunk out of me. Quite literally one of the worst parrot punctures I've had. The top of the wound itself didn't look bad but it kept bleeding and I could feel that it had gone deep. She got me right above the knuckle and the bite went into between my fingers. I didn't show I reaction I just said to the poor girl that I had to go now because I was bleeding :shock:

This isn't the first time my birds have shown jealously towards my phone. Most of the time it just entails screaming but I will be sure to promptly remove the birds from me when it rings next time and move to a safe location where they're slightly out of earshot

Are my birds nuts or do other people have this issue!?

Here's my hand and wrist yesterday. Today they're bruised and raised :crying:

Post subject: Re: Phone call jealousy!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Ouch!! This is why I like cockatiels. They don't get insanely jealous about stuff like this, and the worst bite they can deliver isn't all that bad.

Post subject: Re: Phone call jealousy!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:46 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Ohhhhhhhhh that looks very sore.....
I've had that but only from Parrotlets....
They are small and soft looking....
But hell 2 of mine are crocodiles.....

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]