It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Winter's problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:29 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
All of my birds are good about going into the cage when I need them to. Piper is less good than the tiels, but still pretty good. Winter really doesn't have a clue.

I try to plan things so that the budgies are not out of their cage anywhere near when I have to go out. But, sometimes I slip up.

With the tiels, I can just herd them into their door with my hands. Piper will actually get on my finger.

I know it's my fault about Winter. I just haven't ever taken the time to do any training with her. When I need her in, I really have to chase her around for several minutes, until she flies into the cage, but only because she's flying everywhere to get away from me. I don't think Winter was ever trained by anyone to step up. It's like she has no clue.

I always praise her when she finally goes in. I keep hoping she will just get it at some point.

Any of you had a situation like this with one of your birds?

Post subject: Re: Winter's problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I have it with all the chicks right now lol. They sort of understand the concept of stepping up, but they're too full of energy to sit on my finger for very long and they don't want to go into the cage. So it's a challenge to round them up at bedtime or any time I need to put them away so I can go somewhere. The adult birds are much better, but every now and then one of them will decide not to cooperate and the chase is on.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:15 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Emma used to be like that, before I had her clipped. She seemed to really enjoy leading me on a merry chase (merry for her).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:11 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Four months later and Winter is definitely getting better. She doesn't like to be "herded" with my hands. But, after flying off a couple of times, she will now` fly directly into one of the cages.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:50 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
I'm so glad I have an aviary... :rotflmao100:

In fact I'm sometimes dreaming about living in a aviary/house. Or at least a semi-outdoors room in my house where I keep the birds. In my head I have an entire building I would like to live in, with a bedroom under a glass roof, so I can gaze at the stars before falling asleep... and... but I'm highjacking this thread, and that's not what I want to do... Sorry! :bigsmile100:

Profile E-mail  

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]