It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I trained Pickle!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:23 am 
Egg
Egg

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 0 time
She finger sits and perches on my shoulder! HAY!!
1st birds and I already trained 1 (After 3 months)
I think the only reason Pickle likes me and is taim is because when she crashed into the door I helped her. :shrug:
She is, however, so checky! IN her aviary is a breeding box (Not planning to breed however-got only girls) she sits up there when I enter the aviary. I have a stick i use for training the budgies tricks- so since Im a young and short I used the stick. Pickle raced along the box running away, I finally get the stick against her stomach then she jumps over it and races away.
I'm always like "Seriously Pickle, we've done this so many times. Cant you be like Tigerlily? She isnt energetic and isnt noisy."
But her reaction isnt how id expect it. its more like this. :woohoo1: and :excited001:

Also, how do I know if the budgies are hormonal apart from the cere. Remeber they're all girls. :loveshower100:

Post subject: Re: I trained Pickle!!!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:30 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Congratulations on the training!

If you don't want to breed them then I would recommend removing the nestbox. As far as I know, budgies are NOT a species that sleeps in their nest hole all year long and only use the nest hole when they're breeding. So providing a nestbox is basically begging your bird to get hormonal and lay some infertile eggs. That's definitely how it works with cockatiels, and I don't think budgies are very different.

I don't know the signs of being hormonal with budgies other than the cere. But with cockatiels it includes defending the place that they've chosen as their nest area (which is frequently the cage), shredding newspaper (for nest materials, apparently), and masturbation in many cases. Eating a lot of cuttlebone is a sign that eggs may be on the way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:23 pm 
Egg
Egg

I cant really remove the nestbox as it is screwed down to a perch. Plus I'll probably get a male budgie soon (for Pickle).
Thanks for the info :loveshower100:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
If you're going to get a male, you'll need to be able to remove the nestbox so you can have better control over when they breed, or at least be able to block it off somehow so they can't get into it unless you allow it. If it's available all the time the birds might breed nonstop, which is bad for their health.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:28 am 
Egg
Egg

Yerh I know, I'm probably going to breed them in a cage. but if I breed them in avairy I will cover up nestbox entrance.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]