Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cries for seeds
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:29 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
I don't give Danny seeds. He is extremely food motivated, so seeds are only for training. He has a choice between ZuPreem fruit and Roudybush pellets. He gets fruit and vegetables pretty much every day. He has eaten all the pellets before, so I know he likes them. Seeds are treats only. He only gets them when he is out of the cage, and spending time with me or basic training. When he is in cage, it's only what I said above. Will he learn to stop crying when he doesn't get what he wants?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cries for seeds
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
He will give up eventually as long as you never, ever give him seeds in response to crying. But if you actually give him the seeds once in a while, that will reinforce the behavior in a major way. An intermittent reward is exactly like hitting the jackpot on a slot machine. Paying off once in a while is how they keep people putting money in the machines in Las Vegas.

If you pay attention to him when he's crying, that's a lesser reward for the behavior. You have to be tough and not pay any attention to him at all when he's doing this. Then when he stops doing it, you can hurry over and reward him with attention or treats for NOT crying.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ]