Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:45 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Name: Stephanie
Gave happy chirps: 105 times
Got happy chirps: 265 times
Is all Danny is doing. Every second sound out of his mouth is cry. It's getting frustrating and it's seriously not helping with me getting my period about every week, so I guess it's starting to wear on my nerves to say the least. I'm trying so hard to be calm with him, but it genuinely is quite frustrating, considering my body is running low on patience. I honestly don't even know what he wants. Although he's a little over a year old now, so I'm assuming he's hit his big boy phase now. Also, he's been more timid and pushier too. He knows not to bite hard, and he's really testing his limits with me on that. Hence why I think he's hit his maturity.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The way to deal with unwanted noises is NOT easy to do, but it will work if the bird is making the noises to get your attention. It won't work if he's doing it because he thinks it's fun whether anyone is paying attention or not.

What you have to do is never, ever pay any attention to him when he's making the noise. Just act like you don't even know he's there. Casually leave the room if that's convenient for you. Paying attention to it once in a while is a big no no, because it's a huge reinforcer. Intermittent rewards is what keeps people playing the slot machines in Las Vegas. It usually takes about three days of consistently ignoring it for this to work. The behavior will probably get worse during that three days as the bird tries harder to get your attention with the technique that used to work for him.

Give him lots of attention and/or treats when he's quiet or is making noises that you like. If attention is what he wants, this is how you teach him a better way to get it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:49 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Normally I have the patience of a saint, but I'm just currently going through these phases where I get more frustrated then normal. I think it's not just attention, but when he wants something somewhere. He's fully flighted and a decent flyer, but he'll only fly if something freaks him out and it's straight up and lands right back on his cage. I think if he figured it out he would be more confident and cry less so he can solve his own problems, but I've honestly never had a bird with so much difficulty flying? Beaker a bit, but he still had the instinct, just weak wings. Danny is a solid build, but no freaking confidence. Funny thing is, I never rewarded this behavior? He just somehow picked up whining on his own. Never used to, he would make a little "mep" sound or use words and call my name. I guess that's what frustrates me, he used to be sensible about it, but he just whines instead now.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

If he likes hanging out on top of the cage, maybe you can build his confidence by taking him a few feet away so he has to fly to get back to the cage. If he doesn't fly back then give him something interesting to do in the spot where he is, so he doesn't just sit there doing his cry cry cry act.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:45 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
Hope you pull through this one Stephy...

Together with Danny!

Hang in there! You'll have a stronger bond after!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:45 pm 
Quaker
Quaker

Funny thing with birds is they frustrate you to no end, then pull a 360. Had Danny fly to the couch with me and he just chilled out with me on his own. Those moments are always worth it. Makes me feel like I'm not a terrible bird mom with a coward son. Well... he's still a weenie but I know he has his moments.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Hopefully his moments will become more frequent!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:50 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
Bjornlefevre wrote:
Hope you pull through this one Stephy...

Together with Danny!

Hang in there! You'll have a stronger bond after!

Exactly! You can do this, Stephy! :muchlove:

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]