It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Pearl is obsessed with Ducky
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:23 pm 
Chick
Chick

Gave happy chirps: 9 times
Got happy chirps: 0 time
Ever since I got Pearl, she’s been in love with Ducky. Trying to get close to her, landing on her, and flying after her. She shows no interest in my budgie Bluebell and just wants to be with Ducky. It’s been causing a lot of problems.
I was scratching Ducky earlier today, and Ducky was closing her eyes and loving it. Suddenly, Pearl flew over and nearly landed on top of Ducky, and this really startled Ducky. She lunged at Pearl (not aggressively) and chirped in discomfort. When I tried to resume petting Ducky, she lunged at me and refused. I’m worried that Pearl is negatively affecting my relationship with Ducky, as Ducky is the sweetest bird with me but is afraid of other birds, and if Pearl is constantly trying to get close to Ducky, Ducky will begin to be fearful of everything and even lose trust in me. Pearl literally (as I type) just landed on Ducky’s back and I heard Ducky cry out and fly off in a panic. It’s not cute or funny anymore that she loves Ducky. I thought she would get over this and it was just her adjusting to her new surroundings, but it isn’t. I learned from her breeder that she was raised in a cage with lutino cockatiels, thus her obsession with Ducky. I’m starting to feel she won’t grow out of it. And it’s making my life, and Ducky’s, so much more stressful. I cannot hold Ducky while in the birdroom with Pearl out of her cage for very long, as Pearl will chase Ducky away from me. Ducky has been less interactive and more fearful (while still the sweetest bird ever) since Pearl came. I’m desperate, I cannot compromise Ducky’s quality of life anymore.
Let me add that all Pearl wants is a friend. A cockatiel friend. Strangely, she doesn’t like budgies. The poor thing is lonely in this world where Ducky rejects her. She grew up with cockatiels, and she’s probably so confused right now. And I’m not willing to get another bird.
Thank you :lutinotiel:

Post subject: Re: Pearl is obsessed with Ducky
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:30 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You could try using hormone control techniques on Pearl. That might help reduce this behavior: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/i ... mones.html

It's springtime in the northern hemisphere, so nature is telling the birds to find a mate. Pearl might think that she's a cockatiel, so she's looking for a cockatiel boyfriend.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:40 pm 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
tielfan wrote:
It's springtime in the northern hemisphere, so nature is telling the birds to find a mate. Pearl might think that she's a cockatiel, so she's looking for a cockatiel boyfriend.

Indeed it is! I already have 2 couples on eggs!!

Hope you resolve this without broken hearts ;-)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have several couples who WANT to be on eggs, but I'm not letting them do it yet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:42 am 
Chick
Chick

But why isn’t Pearl choosing Bluebell as a mate?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Pearl might not realize that she's a budgie not a cockatiel.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:39 am 
Chick
Chick

Lol Pearl has her ways. Since she was raised in a cage with cockatiels (Lutinos just like Ducky), that’s probably why she thinks she’s one. I don’t know why the breeder decided to put her in a cage with cockatiels, but I wish she didn’t. Anyway, Pearl is a very hyper and flighty bird. Ducky is more calm and gentle, and I think that’s what scares him.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:28 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Ducky knows that Pearl isn't a cockatiel, whether Pearl knows it or not. :bigsmile100:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:39 am 
Budgie
Budgie

Name: Bob
Gave happy chirps: 140 times
Got happy chirps: 52 times
tielfan wrote:
I have several couples who WANT to be on eggs, but I'm not letting them do it yet.

Why not?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:57 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Because I'm busy with my job right now and don't have time for babies. That'll be over in a couple of weeks and I'll probably let some of them breed then.

I haven't quite figured out how to do it though. I don't want Shodu to breed because she's getting too old for it. Last year her egg laying was very irregular, and only half the eggs were successful. That's a big change for her. But she's still very interested in breeding, and she'll go bonkers if I set the breeding cages up in the usual place and don't let her have one. She's very willing to lay eggs without a nestbox, so she might start popping eggs out if she knows other birds have nests.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next