It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Those d-a-m willow branches... help please!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:33 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
A few days ago I posted on TC about how to clean curly willow branches preserving the leaves, but no response so I fervently hope someone will help me here.
In other forums I received great advice on how to clean them, but I have a few questions remaining.

I put them in the bathtub, poured boiling water on them, and for good measure I used my steam cleaner and steamed them thoroughly.

Do I need to wait for them to be dried from the water before applying F10? Or I can spray it on them even if they are still a bit damp?

Second question.
The branches were cut about 6 days ago so they are still fresh.
I want to use the fattest parts to make natural perches, and the rest to make some mobile where they can climb and have fun.
Does the wood need to be dried out before letting the birds using it safely?
Right now the twigs especially are extremely elastic, and easy to manipulate. Maybe I should do the toys now and then let them get dry and hard before giving them to the birds?

Third question.
What else I can do with them to entertain the birds?
I was thinking a trellis to hang in front of the window, or maybe something else. I ran out of ideas.

They look amazing, out of an enchanted forest...

I have a similar problem with Magnolia, Ash and Apple branches but maybe it would be better if I post them separately since different problems could arise depending on the type of wood.

Post subject: Re: Those d-a-m willow branches... help please!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I had to look up F10 to find out what it was because I hadn't heard of it before. It's a germicidal wound spray. I don't think it's actually necessary to use it at all because the steps you've already taken should be more than enough to kill anything nasty on the branches. But if you want to be extra safe, it would probably be equally effective on a damp branch or a dry branch. You don't want to put it on a branch that's absolutely dripping wet of course because most of it would run right off.

In terms of bird safety I don't think it matters whether the branch has completely dried out inside or not. A branch that's safe when it's fresh should be equally safe when it's dried out and vice versa. There might be some issues related to flexibility and/or brittleness but that's about it. From my own experience, I can tell you that it's a lot easier to work with fresh wood. It's easier to cut it with a saw, easier to drill holes and put screws in it, easier to bend it, etc.

It probably doesn't matter what type of wood you're using. The same principles ought to apply to all kinds of bird-safe wood.

I like your idea about a trellis. The main uses for wood with birds are something to stand on or climb on, or something to chew up. For chewing-up purposes, very fresh branches with the leaves still on them work best. They can't be disinfected completely, but if you choose a branch from an area that isn't heavily bombarded by wild birds and wash it well, maybe using some vinegar for partial disinfection, you aren't likely to have problems. My birds like chewing on desert willow branches from the back yard. It isn't a true willow but it's bird safe, and they like to strip the bark off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:25 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Wow that's good looking wood...
I wash mine and clean with Milton...(baby sterilizer for bottles...)
they just love to chew and generally play on the branches...
How about planting them into a big pot and keep where your birds are let out, this way they get to use the branches.. they look nice for you too.
add a few birdy things hang on the branches keep the birds really busy...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:06 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Jan wrote:
How about planting them into a big pot and keep where your birds are let out, this way they get to use the branches.. they look nice for you too.
add a few birdy things hang on the branches keep the birds really busy...

Keeping some branches vertical, like sticking out a pot or a heavy vase, is probably the way to get the most entertainment value for myself: they are hilarious when they try to climb a stick, can only imagine the activity all those twists and hooky ends will create... My poor babies have never seen a real tree branch, the bird room is such a boring place right now!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Be sure to use something in the base that's heavy enough to keep the branches from shifting around while the birds are climbing on it. Filling the base with sand or dirt would probably work, but the birds will probably want to eat this stuff if you don't cover it up. Some people make a tree stand by sticking it in a bucket of concrete, but that would be pretty heavy.

Your birds are gonna LOVE their new play stand.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:10 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

tielfan wrote:
Be sure to use something in the base that's heavy enough to keep the branches from shifting around while the birds are climbing on it. Filling the base with sand or dirt would probably work, but the birds will probably want to eat this stuff if you don't cover it up

Very good point.
The best solution is something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Resol-Parasol-Umbrella-Sunshade-Holder/dp/B004TGBTWY/ref=sr_1_42?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1388376501&sr=1-42
can be filled with sand or water, but no way in h**l ( :joker: ) I am gonna spend £19.99! I will probably end up needing three or four for feeding stations etc. so I will need to find a low fat container with just a small opening for filling and sticking the wood in.

How heavy has the base to be (average) to be stable?

There are supercheap 5lt soft containers like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/LITRE-WATER-CARRIER-COLLAPSIBLE-CONTAINER/dp/B0026C1N4M/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1388377176&sr=8-5&keywords=water+container, I coud fill them with stones, no sure 5lt is capacious enough though. They are so ugy though, all of these solutions :(

I can just screw it on the floor, but then it can't be moved around.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:18 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Quote:
How heavy has the base to be (average) to be stable?

I realize that this isn't really an answer, but it depends on what you're putting into it. The length and weight distribution of the branches will make a difference. I would tend to go for something like a bucket or flowerpot with plans to use dirt as a filler, and I might even walk into the store with an armful of branches to test the proposed base to see how well it would actually work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:07 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Yep! I agree a big bucket...
Fill it with sand or whatever... but on top, put
some big stones... birds cant get at sand then..
I've seen this done it looked amazing... cant remember where tho! ( You could weight the bucket etc down with stones all the way... wont move far then)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The big stones are a good idea. I was thinking of covering it with cloth or something, but stones are better. The birds will want to chew on the stones too, but they won't get much off of them and the rough texture will help file their nails.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:49 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

I wanted to add an end to this thread, showing the "end product" :)

I really wanted to see them playing with the branches, so instead of waiting for the bucket to be ready I fastened one branch vertically to one of the legs of a kitchen table I keep in the bird room for crafting.

Then I put one horizontally going from the teddy mobile to the boing

---END OF PART I ---

Page 1 of 3 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next