Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Post photos of your cage!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:02 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I would love to see photos of your cages for your birds! Can you also post where the cage is located?

Post subject: Re: Post photos of your cage!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
My son's bedroom is the bird room now. While he was living at home we only had two birds and he kept them in his room. But he grew up and moved out so now his room is occupied by thirteen cockatiels lol.

There are several cages in the room, and I've got some spare cages elsewhere in the house for when I need them. The arrangement changes depending on what's going on - the needs are different during breeding season and some birds move into cages in a different part of the house. I also put more and/or bigger cages in the bird room when I have a bigger population due to fledglings in the house.

This is my biggest cage. The picture was taken when I first bought the cage so it wasn't fully fixed up yet:

If you look closely you'll see that I've put plastic carpet runner from Home Depot under the cage. This is a HUGE help for keeping poop and food debris off the carpet. The 'seed skirt' at the bottom of the cage catches a lot of it but not all. It's a great cage apart from being expensive and hard to clean. It's a good fit for 6 to 8 birds but beyond that it starts to look crowded. It's always in the same place because it doesn't fit anywhere else lol. Here's the cheapest place to get it: http://www.wayfair.com/AandE-Cage-Co.-S ... C1021.html

As mentioned in a different thread I also have this cage: http://www.wayfair.com/Prevue-Hendryx-E ... P1176.html which is usually in the bird room, plus a couple of smaller cages that some birds like to use as sleep cages. The spare cages in the garage and elsewhere include a set of stackable cages sort of similar to this one: http://birdcages4less.com/page/B/PROD/S ... es/PA5723s and a cage that's sort of similar to the Prevue Hendryx cage but not as big.

I actually have too many cages now lol. I bought some of them and others were given to me. I've thought about selling or giving away some of them, but they do come in handy sometimes.

Just for funsies here's a pic of the aviary that I built in November:
The birds don't live out there because of major predator issues, primarily hawks and bobcats. But I'll put them out for a couple of hours a few times a week when I'm home and can monitor the situation.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:57 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Wow the last one is some cage...
Must be lovely to put your birds out
in the air... too cold here...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:20 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'll have to avoid the heat when summer comes. Most locations have some seasons where the weather is bird-friendly and other seasons where it's not. A cockatiel that's been acclimated to the temperatures can handle a pretty wide range - the Outback is scorching hot in the summer, and winter temperatures can drop below freezing, and wild cockatiels have to deal with all of it. I've had my flock out on days when it was sunny but the temps were in the 50s F, and they were fine with it. They puffed up their feathers a little bit to stay warm.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
That's a great aviary, Tielfan, very similar to something I have been planning for a long time, waiting for the place with garden I am looking for.
I was thinking of placing it against the house wall so that one of the house windows would open into it, making it easy for the birds to get indoors if they like.
I don't know if that is a good idea, time will tell :D

This one below is my first cage, the one I bought for Bubu

When Yoghi arrived, they were very good friends and shared it with no problem, even though it's definitely too small for two. I was able to get away with it because they only slept in it.
It's a very sturdy cage and easy-ish to clean but the two feeders are located too low and the birds don't like it at all. The top opens up and stays open with a long perch, they like that a lot!

When I bought Frank I built a very big one, and eventually it housed George, Trilly and Fifi too.

It was all wonky but the birds adored it! The top was a hard plastic sheet that I removed during the day, the two doors on the front were removed during the day too so they could use it as gathering point and playgym.
It eventually had to be pulled apart because it was getting TOO wonky :lol:

This below is a smaller version I put together with some of the original panels, to accommodate Trilly and Frank's family

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:15 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Mr. Darcy came with a small cage that is not used at the moment, I used it as hospital cage for Yoghi.
Birdies like it a lot so I might eventually use it in another room.
The entire front opens and becomes like a giant balcony in front of the cage itself. Very nice concept, I wish i was larger though.

This one below is Keith's cage and he now shares it with Sesamo. It's very flimsy but he lived in it since he was given to the charity that "owns" him, and he loves it.

I had a Vision double height cage that housed a few tiels but I HATED it so I pulled it apart and now I use the panels where I need them in the bird room.
Very difficult to clean, flimsy, too narrow, really a bad bad cage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:35 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
The last cage in your post I have also..
purchased it when Bryni arrived..
Worse cage I've ever had..
Bryni seems to luv it tho!
I have mine reinforced with plastic ties...LOL
Would have fallen apart otherwise..
Seems every cage I buy is wrong, once I get it!
Maybe one day I'll find the one :cheery:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:56 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Jan you have the Vision too? omg they are rubbish! They are very well marketed and presented, when you see them in the shops they look always different, plus they add stuff that is not included in the cage so you have no idea what you are actually getting!
The only good part is the double doors, I was able to hang the nestbox outside of them.
I got it for a tenner on Preloved so I can't complain, but as soon as I didn't need it anymore it was gone.

I don't think I will be buying any more cages, seeing what a success the home-made ones are...
I can choose the size to the inch and doors and everything else... it is basically the difference between buying a nice little flat in Camden or a rambling old farmhouse in Scotland: the nice flat is prestigious and beautiful, but if you have many people to accommodate the big house in Scotland will give you a lot of space for a fraction of the price :D

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]