It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do you use on the bottom of your aviary?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:27 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I use tarp, and hose it down with a sponge scrub once a week. Marshmallow likes to ride of my back while I scrub :)

What do you use for your aviaries? The poop likes to stick on and I have to let the water sit there for a couple of minutes so it can soften.

I know how Moon passed away. He died from fungus. I saw a lot growing from the wood and I presure cleaned it all off. I am really carful about this now.

any ideas on the best cover for the bottom of the aviary would be wonderful. Also, if you happen to come across a good plan for cockatiel aviaries, I would really appreciate it. My aviary was originally built for chickens so the wiring is not safe and it kinda cracking on the bottom because I spend a lot of time in there. I'm not that heavy. It's just that this aviary is around 2 years old.

About the aviary plans, it has to be big enough for at least 10 cockatiels. I am planning on breeding when the babies are older than 14 months. I hope she likes them. She has 3 options to choose from. I hope she isn't too picky.

Post subject: Re: What do you use on the bottom of your aviary?
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:23 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Traditional aviaries have a concrete foundation that you can hose down, or a dirt floor with the walls sunk down a couple feet into the earth to help prevent unwanted critters from digging their way in. The wood floor that I put on my aviary is unusual, but I wanted to have an aviary on wheels so I could move it around. I spread newspaper on the bottom and periodically change the paper and vacuum up the debris. I drilled some small holes in the floor for drainage so I could hose it down sometimes. My birds don't actually live in the aviary so it doesn't get super messy. I don't know whether something like this would work for you.

Rain isn't much of an issue here. I have some big, cheap tarps to cover the aviary with when it rains, and when the summer rainy season comes I'm going to move the aviary onto the porch to help keep it dry. The weather is pretty hot then anyway and the birds will be better off in the shade. Rain and humidity are obviously much bigger problems in Florida. You probably need to put waterproofing materials on the wood (the sort of stuff they use for decks) but I don't know how safe this is for birds. Another option would be to put linoleum or vinyl tile on top of the wood to help keep it dry. I thought about doing that with my aviary but decided not to.

Mold and fungus can be dangerous so I'm glad that the rest of your birds are OK. I'm sorry about Moon, but at least the mystery may have been solved.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

P.S. I've played with the idea of spreading gravel on the bottom of the aviary, but couldn't figure out a reasonably convenient way to clean it. If the aviary is in a permanent location rather than being on wheels like mine, you could put hardware cloth on the bottom and gravel on top of that, and just hose it down.

If you google for "how to build aviary" you'll get a lot of results.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 12:38 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Baruch I suggest you have a look at Pinterest.
I have my own Aviaries pinboard there but it's nothing compared to some collections other people have

This is my own (very poor yet) http://gb.pinterest.com/barpix/outdoors-aviaries/

This one is amazing, not just bird aviaries but loads of ideas http://www.pinterest.com/aimeechristine/my-farm-aviaries-coops/

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:01 am 
Conure
Conure

Thank you gals so much!!

I found such great ideas on google. I just don't know how to ask my parents. I am not sure how they will react.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 8:07 am 
Conure
Conure

I really liked this idea http://m.wikihow.com/Build-an-Aviary

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:20 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Carpentry is a very practical skill to have, so be sure to talk about the skill-building part when you pitch it to them. I had no skills when I started remodeling my aviary, but I learned a lot from that experience and it set me up to do the latest string of projects, which are mostly things that I've been wanting for years.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:31 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Exactly like Tielfan says, if you propose the project pointing out how much you can learn from doing it, I am sure they will like it.
Especially since they are bugging you to find a new hobby... tell them you'd like to learn DIY.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:13 pm 
Conure
Conure

I bet they will let me. In fact, I think they will encourage me. Thank you both for the information.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]