It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to Make a Separation Barrier for Aviary.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:19 am 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I'm thinking back now and I wished I asked him to make something that I can divide the aviary in half when I need to. I'm thinking about breeding my cockatiels when they are old enough to breed. I am seeing Tommy trying to ask Cloudia to be mates but she is keeps rejecting him. Levy and Rio also started wooing her as well. The problem is that Cloudia only likes Shodu. I have tried pairing her up with many other males in the past but she will reject them all. Shodu has no clue how to mate and he has 0% interest in breeding while there are 3 males that are working their butts off trying to win her over.

I want to make a separation in the aviary so that when it's 5-6 months before I breed them, I will separate Shodu and Cloudia and let Cloudia choose between the three males. I'm not planning on forcing her. If she ends up rejecting them then I'll take out the divider and let them be together. I think I can use tarp but I'm not sure. I want it to be cockatiel proof because I don't want them finding a way on the other side. I also don't want them breeding in those small cages. I will only use them when it's an emergency situation and they need to be somewhere alone.

Post subject: Re: How to Make a Separation Barrier for Aviary.
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 am 
Conure
Conure

Never mind. I think I have a plan to sort this out. I'm going to put Cloudia and Tommy is side-by-side cages for a month, then introduce them in one cage and let them get used to each other for another month and if they act like they don't want to kill each other, I will add the nest box and we'll see how this goes. I don't even know why I'm thinking of breeding them now when he's only five months old. Probably because he keeps singing to her like crazy and I can't wait until they grow up.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:03 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
It's fairly simple to make a divider if you go back to that idea. Make rectangular panels in an appropriate size and cover them with hardware cloth wire. You'll probably need two or three panels so you can fit them through the door when you're carrying them in or out, and you may need a triangular panel for the roof section. Make one of the panels an appropriate size to serve as the door between one side of the aviary and the other. Attach the wall panels to the sides of the aviary and to each other with metal brackets. Attach the door panel with hinges and install a latch. You probably won't be able to attach them to the floor since you have a tile floor, so just make sure there's a fairly snug fit where the bottom of the panels rests on the floor.

It would be sort of like this, if you imagine that the outer wall facing the camera is inside the aviary and the smaller panel on the left is actually a door.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:31 am 
Conure
Conure

Thank you. I would love to do this idea but I really don't want to make changes in the aviary. In order to do this I'm going to have to remove the birds and I really don't want to do that. I feel like they can have more privacy if it's done in the storage room.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]