Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Feeder and Waterer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:04 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
Hi Everyone....I need to be away in March for 8 days. My best friend with whom I traded pet sitting with has moved away. I have been looking for good long term feeders and waterers and I'm coming up at a loss. A relative is going to come every few days to check on the animals but I have no one for daily feeding.
I have a large flight cage and the Fountain type feeder/waterers won't hook on the bars. Any ideas from those of you who have aviary type cages?? Peach has never used one of the bottle drip waterers and I don't want to take a chance she might have problems.

Post subject: Re: Feeder and Waterer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
You can help guarantee that she'll have access to clean water if you put several bowls of water in the cage. That way she'll have a backup if one gets fouled or spilled somehow. Multiple food bowls will help make sure she has a good food supply too. Stay in touch with the family member if you can to make sure they don't forget to check on her.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:59 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
For one of the food dishes, my first thought is something wide and shallow, so you can put a good amount of food in that she can forage through even if there are empty husks in it. Whereas, a narrow, deeper bowl can get a top layer of empty husks that may make her think it's empty of good stuff but the shallow, larger dish will encourage her to forrage through the thin top layer of husks.

As for water, I would definitely put the several water dishes as high up as possible, to minimize them getting pooped in, etc. Maybe put a tiny bit of apple cider vinegar in, to keep microbe action in check until they're able to be exchanged. You can mix up a large water bottle of the vinegar/water solution that your family member uses to replace the water with.

Not sure if any of that will help, just thoughts off the top of my head. Good luck and I'm sure she'll be fine. Maybe she can get a new, largish toy to keep her entertained while you're away.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:37 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

I found a pretty good silo water feeder and very large silo pellet feeder and I put both in her cage now to see if she'll use them. Also..I did get her a new exciting toy she'll get when I leave. I'll also fill extra dishes with water and pellets. Oh...I also got a seed stick treat. A big one.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:54 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I remembered i was worried sick when i left my birds for 2-3 days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I've done it occasionally myself and it's nerve-wracking. But if you set things up so the food and water supply is pretty safe and plentiful, it should be all right.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:35 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Thanks everyone. I'm glad to say she is eating out of her new silo pellet feeder. Now I want to see her using the new water silo. :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:56 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
tielfan wrote:
I've done it occasionally myself and it's nerve-wracking. But if you set things up so the food and water supply is pretty safe and plentiful, it should be all right.

I had to trust someone to go in and feed my birds. I don't trust anyone thats not a bird lover with my birds. At first, the lady didn't even want me to teach her how to change their food and water bowl. She finally let me teach her at the last minute. grrr

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]