It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: New toy I made is a hit!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:55 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
Ok, that totally makes sense. I wondered why the stuff in the small animals section was so much cheaper and almost always exactly the same or extremely similar (and with a lot more variety!) compared to the bird section. It really is worth checking out the small animal section in pet stores when looking at toys and food bowls and whatnot.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:18 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
Ive never thought to look in that
section...Our shop here don't have a
lot of stuff for pet birds....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:43 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
I love the hay holder! Peach is going to have one if I can find it at my local Pet Smart. I try to attach lettuce to the sine of a water cup to keep it fresh until it's gone but I haven't got a clip that really works well. This is a good topic. Please..anyone who has more ideas for feeding veggies, treats etc. keep on sharing! Carolyn can you explain ore about what you have on top of your cage?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:33 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

In the Small Animals section of Petsmart, they also have these hanging balls made of medal that you're supposed to stuff with hay or whatever for rodents, but they would be perfect for big leafy greens or big pieces of broccoli or whatever. Again, ten times cheaper than the versions I've seen that are made for bird cages.

Also, they have hanging skewers you can buy in that section, made to hold wood pieces for the rodents to chew. You can use a skewer like that for anything you can think of... same wood pieces they use for rodents or big leafies or chunks of broc or whatever. That's going to be one of my next purchases because they'll last forever and I imagine that they are endlessly useful. If your bird doesn't like whatever you put on the skewer, just pull it all off and put other stuff on and rehang, 5 minutes tops and you have a new "toy". And again, quite cheaper than the bird cage versions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:03 pm 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 19 times
Got happy chirps: 49 times
Cloudy skies wrote:
In the Small Animals section of Petsmart, they also have these hanging balls made of medal that you're supposed to stuff with hay or whatever for rodents, but they would be perfect for big leafy greens or big pieces of broccoli or whatever. Again, ten times cheaper than the versions I've seen that are made for bird cages.

Also, they have hanging skewers you can buy in that section, made to hold wood pieces for the rodents to chew. You can use a skewer like that for anything you can think of... same wood pieces they use for rodents or big leafies or chunks of broc or whatever. That's going to be one of my next purchases because they'll last forever and I imagine that they are endlessly useful. If your bird doesn't like whatever you put on the skewer, just pull it all off and put other stuff on and rehang, 5 minutes tops and you have a new "toy". And again, quite cheaper than the bird cage versions.
do you think you could find it on Petsmart site and post a link? Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
The exact same clip that I have can be seen online at http://www.dollartree.com/Food-Snacks-D ... hod=search Dollar Tree is the only place I know that has this clip - the other dollar stores have thicker clips that wouldn't fit through the cage bars as well. They're strong enough to withstand cockatiels, but kind of flimsy nonetheless and they break eventually. But at five for a dollar, they're easy to replace.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:15 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Here's one of those skewer type toys: http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/toys- ... 3Dcategory

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:22 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Actually, here's a bird version of the same type thing, but actually cheaper. I haven't compared the lengths but they both appear to be skewers as opposed to chains, which means they'd be easier to put big leafies on and chunks of veggies.

http://www.petsmart.com/bird/toys/all-l ... 3Dcategory

So I guess I just proved myself wrong! ha

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:58 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
Those are great, tielfan! I need to have a look in our pound shops.
In a moment of madness I bought one of those metal skewers, it was insanely dear lol, but it works great! Only thing is, they rust easily so you need to wash them with a brush.
I have a big bag of long wood skewers, those you use for barbecues, they are inexpensive and great to alternate veggies and berries. I still need to find a good way to secure them to the cage, but outside the cage they are easy to fix. Just need to remember to cut off the pointy bit to avoid accidents, or use the pointy side to stick them inside pots or other dense material that will keep them standing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:10 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
Great ideas. I'm going to look for the metal ball.

Page 2 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next