It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: New toy I made is a hit!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:44 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Name: Steph
Gave happy chirps: 71 times
Got happy chirps: 33 times
Cloudy skies wrote:
Today at PetSmart, I bought this in the small animal section (I think it's for holding hay for a guinea pig or something?):

and then crammed it full of shredded paper, a couple of half chewed up sprays of millet, some Nutriberries, toys of various types, a bamboo skewer with chew stuff speared on it and voila! They're all fighting over it.

It's all natural wood, no finish to it and is so light, it must be pine or maybe balsa? I doubt it's balsa, it must be pine. Anyways, it's definitely light weight enough to serve as a chew toy in and of itself. It was $4.99 which is a total steal considering a small lame toy that would undoubtedly get ignored costs at a minimum of $7.99 there... easily up to $14.99 for a medium sized toy. $4.99 filled with stuff I already have on hand is my kind of deal.

Edit: and the shredded paper was from this huge bag I bought on sale at My Safe Bird Store for like 2 bucks. That bag has lasted me months and I'm not even half way through it.

I got one for Peach and she liked it right as soon as I put it in her cage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:30 am 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
FYI, this toy is still getting plenty of play. It has been moved into Coyote's cage and he's been working on renovating it by chewing the rungs and pulling on them until one end breaks off. He finally pulled a rung completely off yesterday. I keep refilling it with shredded paper and some millet or whatever now and then and he dutifully pulls it all out eventually. I may get a new one and put this torn up one in the budgies' cage because I don't think they'll be able to chew off the rest of the rungs.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:09 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
That's a cockatiel for you. Chewing on things for the sake of chewing on something. :D This is a clever idea. I might have to do something like that.

Page 3 of 3 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3