All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Vision Cage Review
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:11 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
I have had the Vision Cage for about 2-1/2 months now.

I am using this cage for two budgies. I originally ordered the L01. It seemed a little small for them. So, I ordered the supplies to convert it into an L02.

I find it to be a nice looking cage. The seed cups are nice. I like the little doors for access for changing the seed cups without opening the larger cage door.

I had read that cleaning could be a nuisance. Some people don't mind having to pick up the cage and lift it off the base to clean. Personally, I found it a little difficult and moreso since it has been expanded. I have come up with a workable solution, which I arrived at after some experimentation.

I made a template the shape of the bottom grate. I made slits at each end, where there are raised bits that the seed cups click onto. I cut newspaper to the size of the bottom grate. It's not a convenient size, so I use two full sheets of newspaper, and the two sheets overlap in the middle. Voila! a cage bottom that is easy to change out. The only nuisance is, every week or two, having to cut more newspaper to size.

I know it's considered more hygeinic to use the grate. However, I find that, with this system, I can put fresh paper in every day.

When my brother comes over, every week or two, he lifts the cage off the bottom and I give it a more thorough cleaning, to get rid of the seeds that make their way under the grate.

I considered ordering the Vision cage stand. However, reviews on Amazon said it was flimsy. I looked on Amazon for a long time before I found a very study metal cart that the cage can sit on top of. The cart has two shelves underneath and makes it easy to move the cage around.

Overall, I like the cage and the two budgies seem happy in it. I haven't found the ideal location yet. Right now, the cage is next to the sofa. Only the short side is against the wall and there's lots of traffic back and forth alongside the cage. They birds seem a little nervous about that. I am thinking they might prefer a location where they have more wall behind the cage.

I will try to take a picture and post it on this message soon.

Post subject: Re: Vision Cage Review
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
I'm glad you're happy with it! You could always cover part of the cage to give them more shielding. Or maybe turn the cage so the wider end is against the wall instead of the narrow end. Assuming that you have room to do this and will still be able to get at the doors easily.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 am 
Cockatiel
Cockatiel

Gave happy chirps: 33 times
Got happy chirps: 159 times
I also have the Vision Cage....
1 small 1 medium...
I've a P'let in each... they luv the cages,
and spend a lot of time sitting on the bottom
looking, threw the clear plastic surround...
Having, very bad fingers, I also cut newspaper
to fit the grill in the bottom... I have no problem taking the top off for cleaning, which I do every night. I've had many different cages over the years and this is the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:50 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Gave happy chirps: 15 times
Got happy chirps: 74 times
" Or maybe turn the cage so the wider end is against the wall instead of the narrow end"

Yes, the space is a problem. To do that, I need to find a new location.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:40 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Barbara
Gave happy chirps: 494 times
Got happy chirps: 115 times
I have the double one and do exactly what you do with the paper cut and put on top of the grate.
I also put paper inside the Base in case some sneaky side poo makes its way there lol.
To be honest I don't like that cage but it has the great advantage of being very easy to build in the shape you need and move the door panels around.
Very good cage for attaching a proper wood nest to it too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]