It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: I made a foraging toy!
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:31 am 
Lovebird
Lovebird

Name: Jessi
Gave happy chirps: 83 times
Got happy chirps: 92 times
So it turns out that Lucy really enjoys the pinecone toy. So much, that she managed to pull it off the string and drop it. :lol: Sadly I couldn't get a clear enough picture of her playing (because she does it whenever she thinks no one's looking), but it's gotten to the point where she already ate all the food that was in there, and she was just messing with it, chewing and throwing it around. She was also using her foot to hold it, which is what I think got her to manage getting it off the string. She was also playing with the string itself, as well as the close pin that kept it there. She's such a playful one!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Name: Carolyn
Gave happy chirps: 201 times
Got happy chirps: 725 times
Be careful with strings because they're a serious tangling hazard. A piece of stiff bird-safe wire is often a safer way to hang things. But other than that it's all good - she's eating yummy snacks, having destructive cockatiel-style fun, and using her foot like her mama lol.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:55 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

The string itself is quite short. I made it like that for that same reason. Even as short as it is, she likes to pull on it with her foot, so I'm keeping an eye to make sure she doesn't somehow tangles herself.

So far she seems to be displaying similarities to her mom. She has the velociraptor-like pose when eating, and she uses her foot. Unless if Shodu likes playing with long hair as well as shiny things, then I don't know what else she could be sharing with her mother. Thankfully no flesh-eating tendencies. She may have inherited some of Buster's sanity. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Shodu's not particularly into hair because she's more interested in the tasty flesh hiding behind the hair lol. Lucy's personality is a lot different than her mother. Shodu was hyper, clingy and food-focused as a baby and Lucy is a lot more relaxed, like her father. Shodu has settled down a lot with age and is a lot less hyper and clingy, but she's still as food driven as she ever was.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:08 pm 
Parrotlet
Parrotlet

Gave happy chirps: 1 time
Got happy chirps: 25 times
tielfan wrote:
Be careful with strings because they're a serious tangling hazard. A piece of stiff bird-safe wire is often a safer way to hang things.

Is leather string OK? I use leather string for toys and right now I just have a piece of it by itself dangling in Coyote's cage because he likes to chew on the tip of it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:10 pm 
Conure
Conure

Name: Baruch
Gave happy chirps: 213 times
Got happy chirps: 246 times
I think it should be fine. My birds never had any problems with it. They loved chewing it as well.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:41 pm 
Lovebird
Lovebird

That explains Lucy's love for food. I think it's an equal mix, between some of Shodu's silly quirks, and Buster's calm demeanor. While she doesn't want to eat flesh, she's more into clothing.

Although Shodu and Buster sound like the couple that everyone thinks wouldn't last long, but always ends up working out perfectly. Buster is calm and somewhat average, while Shodu thinks she's a velociraptor. :lol:

Well, she knocked it off... Again. I'm wondering if she really does like it, or if she just prefers to chew on the string. She managed to knock down the cuttlebone too, so I think she's just playing too rough. On the bright side, she seems easily entertained! :) (though considering she's had fun chewing on my buttons as well as my hair, I kinda knew that already).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:22 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leather lace is a lot safer than ordinary string. It's not 100% foolproof, but it's stiffer than regular string so it's harder to get it wrapped around legs, wings, necks and whatnot.

Shodu is faithful to her man lol. Henry is Buster and Shodu's son and Lucy's much older brother. He doesn't want to marry a girl just like the girl who married dear old dad; he wants to marry the very same girl who married dear old dad. He's been relentlessly courting his mother for several years, and to her credit she ignores him. When he offers his head to her for preening she yanks his crest feathers out or clips them off, which is why he's never had a proper crest. Occasionally he'll get a long feather or two, but most of the time he sports the roundheaded look.

Shodu really likes me better than Buster. But he can give her babies and I can't, and I think that's why she hangs out with him.

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2